CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

theft deterrent system

GOOB

My theft deterrent system is going haywire. Over the last week or so it has been happening at almost every start…”Starter disabled due to theft deterrent system, Wait 3 Minutes”. I have had the problem of a bad ignition switch with my old 91 Seville. I was assuming it was the same thing…ignition switch, key, or a combination of the two but what happened this morning changed my mind.

I was dropping the car off for a lube job. I turned the car off and while sitting in the car collecting my personal items, the “accessory power” shut off and the darn car locked me inside!

What could be causing this? (Only “relative” codes I have are the general codes you get when you disconnect the battery.)

My theft deterrent system is going haywire.  Over the last week or so it has been happening at almost every start…”Starter disabled due to theft deterrent system, Wait 3 Minutes”.  I have had the problem of a bad ignition switch with my old 91 Seville.  I was assuming it was the same thing…ignition switch, key, or a combination of the two but what happened this morning changed my mind. 

I was dropping the car off for a lube job.  I turned the car off and while sitting in the car collecting my personal items, the “accessory power” shut off and the darn car locked me inside!

What could be causing this? (Only “relative” codes I have are the general codes you get when you disconnect the battery.)

Bad contacts in the ignition lock. The key and the lock might need cleaning. If it does not help consider the wires inside the ignition lock (not to be confused with ignition switch) . Those wires could be on their way. Hapenned to me and if I recall correctly to KHE. If this is the case you should replace the ignition lock ASAP otherwise you'll be not able to start the car some day.

You can diagnose the problem by inserting a resistor matching the one inserted into ignition key in the circuit (on the car's side) to fool the antitheft system. If it helps - bad wires, key, ignition lock contacts are the suspects.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Sounds like the movie Christine, the car that killed its owners or anyone it didn't like... :lol: Be careful dude.... it always locked the doors before it killed.. :unsure:

I saw that movie a few times also. Scotty is correct, Be Very Carefull. Maybe you have not been taking care of her lately. LOL We just got back this afternoon. We were on vacation from last Friday, went so fast. I hope all here are well.... MAtt

Christine...ha, ha, ha!!! That's exactly what I told my wife when I got home

But my Daughter has another name for it. I took her to the movies Saturday to see Herbie. After 3 failed attempts to start, my daughter said she is gonna start calling her Herbie because she has a mind of her own.

. . . . and the darn car locked me inside!

Is this a Polish (or your other favorite ethnic) joke? :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

This post deserves a DUMB BLONDE CAR JOKE...

A blonde inadvertently hits a light post at a grocery store and puts a nice dent in her right front fender.

Frustrated, she takes it to a body shop to get a quote. The bodyman looks it and writes up a quote for $ 700 dollars to fix it. She reads it, throws her hands up in the air and states, "$ 700,...I don't have that kind of money. Isn't there anything else you can do?"

The bodyman, noticing she isn't too bright, decides to have some fun with her. He states, "Ma'am I'm gonna let in on a little secret. This is a simple fix. All you do is get down on your hands and knees, blow real hard into the exhaust pipe, and you'll blow the dent right out!".

She gives him a big hug, thanks him for the trade secret, gets in her car, and drives to her apartment, excited.

Later, her blonde roommate, drives into the apartment parking lot, and finds her friend sitting behind her car, with her head in her hands, a soiled face, with a grimace. The roommate asks, "what wrong with you?"

The frustrated blonde exclaims, "I'm trying to blow this dent out through the exhaust pipe, but it won't budge!!"

The blond roommate replies, "Duhhh....., try rolling up the windows!!!!!!!!"

. . . .  and the darn car locked me inside!

Is this a Polish (or your other favorite ethnic) joke? :P

Actually, this is a little known Cadillac feature. When stolen, the car locks the thief inside so he won't get away while On Star calls the cops! :lol:

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Actually, this is a little known Cadillac feature. When stolen, the car locks the thief inside so he won't get away while On Star calls the cops! :lol:

"Okay," said the blonde, "makes sense to me . . . "

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

i am ordering the ignition lock and ignition switch form gmotors.com...will i need new keys?

They usually give you new lock and matching (mechanically) key . If you tell them the resistance of your current key they can match it too.

Why do you order ignition switch? Are you sure it is bad? What if it is your VAT?

I would first diagnose the problem to narrow it as much as possible before replacing any parts.

i am ordering the ignition lock and ignition switch form gmotors.com...will i need new keys?

Take the new lock cylinder to a locksmith and have them rekey it to your existing keys. This is much cheaper than buying new ignition keys for the new cylinder. Your dealer's parts counter guy will be able to tell you who does their re-keying.

I did this last year on my Fleetwood - it was $10 to have the lock rekeyed. I watched the locksmith do the job and if I ever needed to replace the lock cylinder again, I could do it myself.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Take the new lock cylinder to a locksmith and have them rekey it to your existing keys. This is much cheaper than buying new ignition keys for the new cylinder. Your dealer's parts counter guy will be able to tell you who does their re-keying.

I did this last year on my Fleetwood - it was $10 to have the lock rekeyed. I watched the locksmith do the job and if I ever needed to replace the lock cylinder again, I could do it myself.

good idea. did not think it would be that cheap.

Why do you order ignition switch? Are you sure it is bad? What if it is your VAT?

I would first diagnose the problem to narrow it as much as possible before replacing any parts.

is this something i can do thru the onboard diagnostics? when it comes to electronics, i am definitely better off paying someone cause i KNOW i'll screw it up!

is this something i can do thru the onboard diagnostics? when it comes to electronics, i am definitely better off paying someone cause i KNOW i'll screw it up!

I do not think onboard diagnostic will help to determine a broken ignition lock wire or bad contacts. But inserting a resistor (even only to narrow the search) as I described in the firsta reply would definitely show the problem inside the steering column not somewhere else.

Skeep the dumb blonde stuff and read the replies again. If you decide to do something yourself we can take you throgh the diagnostic, steering column disassembling- assembling, ignition lock replaceing etc. Did you try to clean the contacts on the key and ignition lock for starters?

Archived