CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shocks

mike33

I own two Cadillacs, but this is not a Cadillac question. My father-in law and I are going to replace the front shocks on his 1992 Chevy Silverado PU. Can anybody out there send me a link with instructions on how to do this? I've never done it before, and I know the knowlegable folks on this board can help!

Thanks!

I own two Cadillacs, but this is not a Cadillac question. My father-in law and I are going to replace the front shocks on his 1992 Chevy Silverado PU. Can anybody out there send me a link with instructions on how to do this? I've never done it before, and I know the knowlegable folks on this board can help!

Thanks!

Remove the lower mounting bolts - there will be two per side. Get a deep socket that will fit the nut on the top of the shock - attach the longest combination of extensions to the socket and then work it back and forth (fore/aft) until the stud breaks and the old shock drops to the ground. I've used that technique for years and it makes replacing shocks a 30 minute job.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks KHE. I'm looking for a more step by step approach for a newbie. Anyone have diagrams or complete directions?

Based on my experience the only thing that KHE's description is lacking is to take a swig of BEER between working on the LF and RF. Besides that his description is right on. If you need more than that may I suggest the dealer $$$, Firestone, Goodyear or Pep Boys :blink: .

Maybe these guys can help

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/

Thanks KHE. I'm looking for a more step by step approach for a newbie. Anyone have diagrams or complete directions?

Jack the front of the truck up or put it on ramps so you have clearance to work. I use a creeper to move easily under the vehicle. Follow the shock to the bottom mount and you'll see two bolts holding it to the lower suspension member. Remove those bolts.

The upper nut will never budge considering the age of the vehicle - that's why I break it off with the deep socket/extension combo.

There's really not much more to the job than what I described.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Based on my experience the only thing that KHE's description is lacking is to take a swig of BEER between working on the LF and RF. Besides that his description is right on.

:lol::lol: Oops - I forgot about the beer! No wonder I don't mind working on my cars... :D

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thank you KHE and Scotty. I broke those tops bolts, and it worked great.

Ok, new question for anyone. On my wife's 2002 Deville the air that comes out of the vents doesn't smell that good. It kinda smells like a house over run with dogs and cats! This car is certified pre-owned and I have warr into 2008. But I really don't want to take it for the dealer for this, unless they have a really simple solution for it. Anybody have any thought?

Thanks!

There are a couple of things you can do.

First clean out the cowl area of all leaves and sediment with a vacuum. Its a good practice to keep the cowl area clean as the dirt gets finely filtered and can block the evaporator according to my AC guys,

Second Flush water though the cowl area

Third, GM sells, Air Conditioner System Disinfectant Kit, GM P/N 25533404 and you can utilize that (you may try 5%-10% bleach to water also poured through the cowl area). DON'T HURT YOUR PAINT WITH THE BLEACH

Fourth, the afterblow mode can be enabled to prevent the reoccurance of odors, this removes condensation from the evaporator core

Mike

Maybe it's something as simple as your cabin air filter is very dirty Just open your hood and on the right side of the upper cowl area is a panel near your wiper bledes you do not need any tools to check it just pop the panel and you will see the filter just slide the clip on the right side of the filer tray and the filter slides right out a couple minutes to check..

Archived