CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OH MY GOD!!!

Well after all these months, my car is back together and OH MY GOD, this is one bad a** STS. The LSD works great. I can feel more power from having the heads ported, although I am still working on the exhaust as the crossover pipe is still choking the motor and the 3600 stall converter is fantastic.

The limited slip dif has eliminated traction control completely with absolutely no drivability issues. It works great. With the high stall converter I roasted BOTH tires for about 20 feet from a stop and traction control never came on. Of course I lost a lot of traction but just wanted to see what it would do. Absolutely no torque steer at all. I would say I am easily into the 13 teens. I am going to put it on a dyno this weekend.

I also installed a trans cooler with its own fan in the fender well on the passenger side. This should definetly save the tranny from over heating with the high stall converter. I swear you would not know it had a 3600 stall converter in it until you get on it. I love it!.

I took a bunch of pics of the reinstall of the motor and I am working on a web site to put them up. Will let you know when I have it ready. I am planning to go to the track next week to get some times. I will keep you posted.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

AWESOME....this is great news. I just got 6k for my Mustang, and am planning to mod the s**t out of my car just as you did. You are my hero Mark...hehe. I was thinking of only going with a 3200rpm converter. Have you noticed any sluggishness off the line under light to medium throttle from a dead stop, or does it just operate like the old one did (or the 2800rpm one you had before for that matter). Did you just port the exhaust ports, or did you also port the intake side's of the heads. Also, what are you planning to do with the crossover. It doesn't look like there is much room, but I knwo something must be possible. Which company did you end up purchasing the LSD from, as well as the Torque Converter? Sorry for the barage of question, but I want to get rolling on this project as soon as possible. I just order the billet aluminum front engine mount from RSM, and will hopefully get that in withint hte next two weeks. Please tell me everything. :lol:

I stopped by Quick-Rev a few times while your car was at the shop. I'm very interested in seeing how it runs out at the track. Are you still considering the forced induction that Jim was talking about?

With the high stall converter I roasted BOTH tires for about 20 feet from a stop and traction control never came on.

This is interesting because as we've come to discover, the traction control really doesn't care if the tires spin, it just cares if there's a large speed difference between the two sides. With an LSD (in a straight line), there won't be a difference in speed between the two sides, so you effectively circumvent the TCS without turning it off.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Danbuc,

It is not sluggish off the line on normal acceleration, it just brings the rpm up just a little. Other than that it is exactly like stock. at 50mph before lockup it is running at 2100 or so and it drops all the way down to 1500 at lockup. Seems to be a very efficient converter.

The limited slip came from Engineered Performance. The SS3600 torque converter is from Yank converters.

I only had the exhaust ported per Bbobs recommendation.

Our main goal was to get the car back together and running given my dilema. Now that we have done that we will concentrate on the exhaust issue. This guy is really good.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Jason,

It is interesting that traction control never engaged as it also looks at the rear wheels in addition to front left and right. In talking with Guru there is a 15% allowance for max acceleration, but it sure seemed I was way over that. The good news is it works great regardless. I'm not knocking it.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Ok,Ok,Ok so you got the performance now how about the looks to go with it?!! Are you going for the sleeper look? You've had your STS since 2001 I believe? The same time I got mine. I sold traded it late last year for an LS430 though. I see you still have the tame 16 inch rims with fat tires. The following were the mods I did to my moonstone STS

You can get much better handling out of 18's with a 255/45/18. You can take those off in the winter if you get alot of snow. Also cross drilled rotors showing through open rims looks cool, sporty and definately improves braking. Brembo brake would look amazing with black or red calipers. Those are expensive though But you can get front and rear cross drill rotors from Tirerack or Brakewarehouse.com. Finally a billet grill looks better imo than the stock one. I happen to have one for sale for $200 shipped. Custom built with emblem. Paid $400 for it. I also had violet white real HID lights and Euro air horns with stock horns which added more intimidation. B)

I never got to take pics with everything on before I sold it :( But here are some pics of what I had so you can get an idea.

post-3-1120831667_thumb.jpg

It is interesting that traction control never engaged as it also looks at the rear wheels in addition to front left and right. In talking with Guru there is a 15% allowance for max acceleration, but it sure seemed I was way over that. The good news is it works great regardless. I'm not knocking it.

It sure doesn't seem to look at the rear wheels also (not on mine anyway). On wet pavement, like on a freeway onramp, BOTH fronts on mine will break loose and spin wildly. It'll also do it on wet pavement if it downshifts into 1st from a roll. Both wheels will break free and spin uncontrolled by the TCS. I think it's pretty cool. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived