CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gas Mileage

weephee

A poorly flowing air filter can make a big diference!

Didn't we "debate" this not long ago?

Yeah, we did, and I've got to admit I'm still thinking old school... (carbs)..But, the way I read his post, he had no idea what the condition of the air cleaner was. I think that was worth looking into..

Always worth checking. I know what you are talking about Bob. Old habits and ways of thinking die hard. You know I have mentioned that I found my daughter a '99 SLS in Feb. with only 24K on it at the time. One of the first things I did was check the air filter. Can't remember when I saw one so bad. Greasy dirt all over it. Kinda looked like the old round one with the breather element inside. Now THAT one was a candidate for restricted air flow.

We are showing our age guys

Roger that Scotty. The memory is the second thing to go you know.

Those stickers are based on a factory test at 77kms per hour. You will find if you try it, it will be right on. But you will have to find a long flat road, and use the cruise. I use to work in the plant that did these tests, we all said the same thing....Who the heck does 77kms per hour on the highway???

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Hey,

I checked the air filter and replaced, it wasnt that bad but I figured what the hell anyway. I bought it before I checked it. haha. Anyways, found the potential culprit. My brakes are sticking! Went through a new set of pads in about 5000 miles. It noticibly sticks. I just went into the rotar on my way to work. Just ordered pads, rotars and new new LF caliper. I will do the job tonite. I'll let you know about fuel mileage increases. As of right now...none.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Hey,

Just an update. The LF brake hose had collapsed internally. Thought it was the caliper...it was not. Replaced the LF brake hose, both rotors and pads. The brakes are much improved. On my way to work I got nearly 17mpg! It was nice...the real test is on the way home when I usually am a little harder on it. As of now...new air filter, changed the oil, new rotors and pads and a new LF brake hose. I definately expect to see an overall improvement in mpg because the LF was sticking severely. For some reason I did not notice it. I'll let you know how I do tonite.

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Archived