CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Rainsense Windshield

I'm having my windshield replaced next week due to sand pitting - the Cad dealers around here refer the work to glass shops. Is there anything I need to be careful of?

THANKS.

Two things I know about rain sensors:

Insist that the glass shop uses the GM part number sensor adhesive.

The sensor must be mounted such that the wiper blade sweeps water from the glass in front of the sensor.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

..and be careful not to put Rain-X or any other rain-behavior-altering stuff in the area of the sensor - the IR in the sensor depends on a particular kind of moisture on the windshield in terms of bead, size, etc and anything other than plain glass kinda messes it up.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

I had JN Philips Auto Glass replace the windshield on my 98 Eldo ETC earlier this past spring and all is well. They used a special adhesive for the rain sensor and it works great. JimHare's comment about Rain-X and the sensor is interesting. I use Rain-X regulary and have always applied it to the entire windshield. Although I don't recall seeing any problems with the sensor actuation, I will make a point of looking next time it rains.

Regards, Alan Wise

..and be careful not to put Rain-X or any other rain-behavior-altering stuff in the area of the sensor - the IR in the sensor depends on a particular kind of moisture on the windshield in terms of bead, size, etc and anything other than plain glass kinda messes it up.

JimHare,

So THAT'S what is going on with my windshield!

Thank you, thank you, :D

My intermittent wipers do not function properly. Based on this email string, I inspected my rainsense modules location. It's mounted all the way up into black/tinted grid region of the window. The wiper blade doesn't come close to sweeping over it. :angry: The previous owner of the car must have had the windshield replaced and the idiots didn't install the rainsense module correctly. My windshield is manufactured by PPG. I believe this to be OEM glass because all the windows say PPG on them.

Does anyone know how much the reattachment kit costs?

Chuck

My intermittent wipers do not function properly. Based on this email string, I inspected my rainsense modules location. It's mounted all the way up into black/tinted grid region of the window. The wiper blade doesn't come close to sweeping over it. :angry: The previous owner of the car must have had the windshield replaced and the idiots didn't install the rainsense module correctly. My windshield is manufactured by PPG. I believe this to be OEM glass because all the windows say PPG on them.

Does anyone know how much the reattachment kit costs?

Chuck

I think the adheshive kit is about fifty bucks.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

JimHare,

So THAT'S what is going on with my windshield!

Thank you, thank you, :D

I don't have rain sense wipers but my daughters car does. I applied Rain-X to the entire windshield and although she hasn't complained I cleaned it off in the rain sensor area. A razor blade does the job well.

...I applied Rain-X to the entire windshield and although she hasn't complained I cleaned it off in the rain sensor area. A razor blade does the job well.

Ranger,

I have used Rain-X for 30+ years.

I love my Rain Sense wipers, but sometimes they act funny.

When I turn off and back on, they act normal again.

I will remove the Rain-X and see what happens...

Just has the windshield replaced in my wife's 99 Concours. Binswanger Glass came to her place of work and installed it for $200, Rainsense and all. We just came back from a 2500 mi. trip (lots of rain!) the wipers worked flawlessly. I don't know where you are located but Binswanger is a national chain. Stan

Thanks everyone. Now I have what I need.

I talked to the outfit - and they usually use a PPG product to re-attach the rainsensor - but would get the GM if I paid for it. I will.

They also told me that there's a higher quality of glass I can buy - about a hundred buck difference, which I will opt for.

They claim they can replace the rubber gasket that goes around and holds the windshield in place, but I think I'm gonna ask for a new one of those too. Any thoughts on this piece?

Thanks everyone.  Now I have what I need.....

They also told me that there's a higher quality of glass I can buy - about a hundred buck difference, which I will opt for.....

What makes the glass $100 better than OEM?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

coolness,

I think that the proper rain sensor installation kit is part number 25645365, with a dealer list price of $59.43. It appears that it is a complicated process to use this kit, according to the instructions in the GM service manual, which describes the process. (I suspect that the kit itself comes with an instruction sheet, but that may not be the case.)

Unlike older vehicles, for your vehicle there is no gasket that "holds the windshield in place" as you stated in your last post. The glass is actually "glued" directly to the sheet metal surrounding the glass opening. There is a one-piece "reveal molding" that surrounds the sides and top of the glass. According to the GM service manual, it can be removed and reinstalled separately from the glass, so you may not need to replace it on your vehicle, although it probably would not hurt to do so. This molding is part number 25687135, with a dealer list price of $120.59.

There is also a "sealing strip" that is installed between the inner lower edge of the glass and the top front edge of the instrument panel. (This seal is for vibration damping, not water sealing.) This strip will almost certainly need to be replaced; it is part number 25644508, with a dealer list price of $27.11.

Incidentally, the windshield itself is part number 25715060, with a dealer list price of $315.01.

I also agree with JimD in questioning the value of the "more expensive than OEM" glass.

Good luck!

Archived