CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

starting afer long storage

J-J

After letting my car sit for about 3 months, when I cranked it the it ticked loudly for about 20 min. then it stopped ticking. This is the second time after a long storage the engine has done this. What can I do to prevent this?

Possibly a lifter is collapsing. IF a lifter is holding a valve open on shutdown, it is under continuous pressure from the valve spring. This can cause the oil to be forced out over time if the lifter has some wear. The oil in the lifter is used to adjust the valve lash or clearance. As the engine is started following a long period of sitting, the affected lifter has excessive clearance. It takes time for the lifter to "pump up" to the proper height.

You don't state what the mileage is on your car. As the mileage would be a factor in the lifter bleed down.

If the lifter doesn't bleed down overnight or over a weekend, then I would think that there is no harm being done.

Make sure that you are using the proper grade of oil for your engine. It is best to change the oil shortly before an engine is to be put into storage. This will insure that the anti wear additives are not depleted.

If the oil was being diluted by gasoline, that would excaberate the problem.

Britt

Britt

Archived