CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Will I lose the race?

All right, I was approched by a coworker who noticed what I was driving to work these days, and we went through the usual, why a Caddy? I told him I wanted something as nice as my RoadMaster was, and something quick like my '71 Buick GS for a daily driver. Well, the car is pretty quick, not as quick as the GS, but quick. All of a sudden he wants to race me with his truck. A '02 Chevy 2500 with a Duramax diesel, that he added a chip to , that he can dial in for mileage, or performance. He boasted that he has over 400 horsepower, and would have no problem beating me. To which I responded by laughing how it also outweighs my car by at least a thousand pounds, and that would slow him down. So, I'd be happy to oblige anytime. After I told somebody who knows a little more about those trucks, he also told me I would lose. Or as he put it, get destroyed. Okay, my 01 is totally stock, and feels like a mid to high 14 second car(GS has a best of 12.92), is he going going to clean my clock, or will it be close, or what? Jim

You'll clean his clock. If they have to ask "why a Caddy", they have no idea of the performance of these cars. Kids in Hondas try to race me all the time. Make sure he doesn't want to race with a 10,000-lb trailer in tow...otherwise (and if a chip is his ONLY mod), you won't have a lick of trouble.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hmmm, better not be too bashful before the race. Here are the 01 Duramax Dynos with an Edge Performance Products chip (click Dyno Charts in the middle of the page):

Dynamax Dyno

With an Edge Chip set on level 5 you can get 400 horse and almost 800 ft/lbs of torque. I have seen 4x4 diesel pick-ups that will run 15 second quater-miles just with a chip. I would race him but it all depends on what chip he has in there. These truck have come a long way from the old 6.2L Diesel from 1982. When will Cadillac get a 3/4 ton Escalade with a 6.6L Duramax :D I'd love it!

Spence

The caddy wins! There is no contest here.Those diesels are very powerful though.Im in construcion so i see these trucks at work all day.If youre stuck in the mud, put the chains on a diesel truck youll get out.But dont go pick a race on the road with a caddy.Ive raced my boss a few times 0-70 ish, nothing high speedand its no contest.The boss has a powerstroke with 100 horse chip.Do it and let us know what happened. Just dont race him up a hill :P

He may take you off the line, but you will make up for it once you reach 30mph or so. Or, pick a wet road on a rainy day, he will spin his a** off...LOL

Make sure you know how to launch best to not have your traction control kick in.

Be safe!

Cheers

BEFORE YOU RUN HIM , CHECK UNDER THE TRUCK, IF THE EXHAUST SYSTEM IS MINUS EVERYTHING, FROM THE FROUNT TO THE REAR , AND I MEAN NO MUFFLERS AND NO CAT, AND HE IS RUNNING DUAL EXHAUST, HE HAS DONE MORE THAN CHIP IT. THOSE DURAMAX, LOVE FREE FLOW EXHAUST, REMEMBER HE IS TURBO, YOUR NOT , AND A 2500 IS A 3/4 TON NOT A 1 TON, IS IT EXTENDED CAB OR REGULAR FULL BED OR SHORTBED . THE WEIGHT DIFFERENCE IS PROBABLY NOT THAT DIFFERENT . IF HE IS RUNNING THE ALLISON AUTOMATIC, IT IS A TOUGH TRANSMISSION. AND HE IS PROBABLY GEARED LOWER THAN THE CAD. I OWN BOTH SLS AND DURAMAX, IN MY PART OF THE COUNTRY EVERYONE DRIVES OR OWNS A TRUCK, LOTS OF TRICK STUFF FOR A DURAMAX, VERY LITTLE FOR A CAD NORTHSTAR. IF HE HAS TRICKED THE TRUCK , RUN HIM BUT BET NOTHING, BECAUSE HE PROBABLY WILL BEAT YOU. REMEMBER IT IS NOT A CUMMINS NOR A DETROIT, IT IS ONE FAST RIDE WHEN THEY HAVE BEEN TUNED.

Turbo diesels when moded can kill many cars in a straight line....keep in mind these diesel guys love playin games with cars that think they are gonna be slow...I see it all the time here....then they blow you away witha cloud of blac soot

Never underestimate the performance of a diesel. The custom truck world is in full swing. Diesels have been left out for alot of years. Not anymore though. It is absolutely amazing what can be done with a truck diesel (especially the Duramax) with just electronic mods. It is very possible to take a stock diesel, add electronics, and run in the low 13's. This from a stock time in the low 16's. If there is no money on the line, run him. What do you have to lose? I would love to run a tricked out diesel. Oh, and you can take that Caddy is the all powerful mentality, and lose it. Caddy's are fast, but fall way short to what's out on the road today. I love my Seville, but I also know, that the performance is whet it is. Pretty darn good, but not great.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

My dad gots a truck

"gots"???

Britt

Britt

Quit being a weany and race him....LOL

If he has a pickup with a Duramax that can outrun you it would be worth running him just to see it...!!

Haha...that's great. My friend at school has a brand new F250 SuperDuty with that Powerstroke Diesel V8. He launched it at a light the other day while I was behind him, and I have to say that I was definitely suprised. He hasn't done anything to it, but says it shoudl run a 15.9 in the 1/4. Judging by how well it took off, I could say it's possible. I say go for it, as long as there's no money on the line. Ifthere is, makes sure it's an amount you'd be willing to loose, as it's a definiet possibility (provided the truck's been modded).

You have to also chech and see if he is running a propane injection system! It is like NOS for Gas engines!

Either way, you are going to win the race!

Cheers!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

I'll add that I got put back in my place by a 4WD GM pickup once. It was a newer one, but I don't have any idea what powerplant it had in it. I couldn't believe the way the thing pulled away from me. I don't believe he had it moded, becasue it was more of a work truck, with signage on the side, and a tool rack or something like that in the back.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

No, there has not been any race, at least not yet. We did have one further conversation about it though. He didn't do anything but chip it, and when I told him exactly what he had, and what he would probably run, based upon info., and links from this tread, he agreed I would probably beat him. I think he also did a little asking around himself. It's more our work schedules that keep us from racing than anything else. If we ever end up leaving at the same time, I'm sure the first stoplight we come to will be our Christmas tree. ;) Jim

All he did was chip it!?

Absolutely no contest at all!!!!

Good luck, and make sure you let us all know the results.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived