CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Struts / shocks are set on "firm"

kcp123

Hey fellow Caddy owners.

I was wondering if somebody could help me out. I recently purchased a '92 Eldo for a great price (I already own a 2001 Eldo, but I couldn't pass up this great bargain for the '92).

My question is about the struts. The previous owner installed some passive struts but the ride is very hard.

Someone told me this is because, when you install passive struts, you have to set the car's computer to "recoginize" the new struts. If you don't do this, your ride will be harsh because the struts stay set to "firm".

Is that true? If so, how can I correct this?

If the new struts are passive the computer cannot adjust them since there is nothing to adjust.

Do you get "service CCR" message? You can get rid of it if you want to.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

You are stuck with that ride unless you change the struts, passive struts can not be adjusted as adallak said. What is the tire pressure? Using less pressure will help. Can you find out more details about the struts who manufactured them? Mike

Boston Suspension sells two versions of strut, their is a new version called "LUXURY" ride as they were getting complaints that the first version rode too hard, here is a Description of the Luxury version from their site:

(*NEW*) Luxury Ride suspension kit 1993 to 1996 Seville & Eldorado. Also, 1994 to 1996 Deville: 4 Wheel suspension kit with computerized self adjusting rear air shocks. Same as kit #6, the difference is this delivers a luxury ride. This kit features all Monroe parts.

MAYBE you have the FIRST version Boston Strut! See if you can find out what you have I ALMOST got the hard riding version for my DEVILLE and opted for the LUXURY version...

http://www.bostonsuspension.com/

Thanks for the help guys. In answer to your questions, no, there's no "Service CCR" message, but there is a "Service Engine soon" message; and, no, I don't know the brand name of these struts.

Thanks for the help guys. In answer to your questions, no, there's no "Service CCR" message, but there is a "Service Engine soon" message; and, no, I don't know the brand name of these struts.

A common cause of SES light is EGR tubes plugged with carbon. Pull the trouble codes by simultaneously pressing Warmer and OFF buttons on DIC (the ignition key is on) for a few seconds utill codes show up. Write down the codes and report here.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

If the car is due for tires, you might look at going with a more luxury-oriented tire. Tirerack.com has a good tool for culling these out of the pack. I put squishier tires on my 93 and it has helped. Loss of handling seems minimal.

Good luck.

If the car is due for tires, you might look at going with a more luxury-oriented tire. Tirerack.com has a good tool for culling these out of the pack. I put squishier tires on my 93 and it has helped. Loss of handling seems minimal.

Good luck.

I was thinking the same thing, if he is running Z rated tires a good H rated tire may make a big difference.

I was thinking the same thing, if he is running Z rated tires a good H rated tire may make a big difference.

True, or even an S-rated tire. That's probably what the '92 came with, and would provide the best ride, all other things being equal.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived