CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Spark plugs, air filter, coolent

Hey guys I am doing some rutine mantinence to the caddy as she hit 100 000 miles a while ago. First of all I need new spark plugs car is missing sometimes what kind should I be useing and where should i be getting them installed? Air filter whats the best one and how do I get the old one out I messed with it one day and never could figure out how to get it off? :unsure: I also want to get coolent changed if I just take it to the dealer can they do it is there anything i need to ask for specificlly? Im guessing the dealership should no what there doing :P Just wondering and looking for advice before i do all this next week.

Thanks

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

1) Plugs: AC, of the correct part number. If you don't want to install them yourself, I'd say any competent shop could replace plugs. Don't overlook the wires if the car is missing.

2) Filter: AC, of the correct part number. I'm not familiar enough with the '93 to know how to get it out of the housing, but it is convoluted on my '97. In case yours is the same, you need to disconnect the black rubber inlet tube from the air filter housing first. Remove the band clamp and use a SMALL flatblade screwdriver to gently "unstick" it and pry it off. I've done it a hundred times...it's safe for both the filter housing and the tube.

3) Coolant: Prestone or Havoline green coolant should be good. Be sure to add the sealing pellets to one of the radiator hoses before reconnecting everything.

Good luck!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hey guys. I bought the replacement AC spark plugs to put in the new N* I got. The mechanic forgot to put them in. It's runs ok with the ones that were in there, but that motor sat a while and I'd really like to have the new ones I bought in there. Only one problem. I put my socket down there and I can't budge it. I don't wanna turn too hard and strip the head. I tried this in the morning, so the car sat overnight. Totally cooled down. Should, I try it with the engine kinda warm?? I really don't want to strip anything.

IPB Image

I can tell you a K&N air filter really made a difference in both my Caddys.

As far as the plugs go, you are most likely not going to strip them. The new plugs now a days are not like the old ones.

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

K&N air filter for sure!!!

I have one in my 94, and one in the wifes 97.

You can really tell the difference!

I would definately go with AC Delco plugs, and I too don't think you will strip them.

Life is too short to grow up!

I just did this same stuff to my STS....Crazy stealer wanted $300 to remove and replace the plugs, but said that I needed throttle plate service as well....I went with the throttle plate service(had the chugging sensation at idle) but told them to forget the plugs....I began searching my local parts stores for the AC Delco plugs for my car-got them for about $6 each but went with Autolite Pro 7mm wires and all of this cost about $140 (dealer cost was w/o new wires) Took me about 2hrs to do all of it and I found the plugs to be very tight...Just put a little soap on the rubber piece in your spark plug socket to remove it after replacing and forget it...Your not going to strip the plug as long as you get it all the way on...

I would NEVER use the K&N filter ever, no disrespect to the prior posters. Read this post before you consider using the K&N filter.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...=5147&hl=k&st=0

There is a small performance gain if any and you suck in MUCH more dirt. The question is, Is the miniscule power increase worth sucking in more dirt that can potentially score/wear pistons and rings?

See these threads:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

http://www.jnjhome.net/cadillac/filter.htm

As far as the plugs being hard to get out, they need to be broken loose and many here have suggested using an air impact gun to break them loose quickly rather than breaking them slowly by hand.

Let me just add that K&N filters are for the Japanese burner crowd, the crowd that is happy making more noise than power.

Scotty, yes...that's why I use only real filters (paper) in my vehicles, and recommend the same to others.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived