CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

unknown

Hello all, i need some advise, i just noticed a grinding like sound comming from my wheels, i think. I only hear it while driveing, the sound effect of something rubbing . it does not make that sound in idle, or when i press on the gas peddle. the sound comes when i reach about 30 to 40 mph. no sound on turns. can some please give me a few ideas on what this could be, the dealers here in los angeles, are big time rip off artists, hopefully it can be fixed by local brake and wheel mach. thankyou for any and all help. sweet caddy

Sounds liek a bad wheel hub bearing. They tend to make a grinding, humming sounds at higher speeds when they wear out. Take a look under the car and look for anypossible damage to the CVD boots as well. Sometimes, and bad CVD joint can also grind. It's unusual though, that it doen't make any sound when you turn. Usually if one side is bad, it will get louder when you turn in the oppiste direction, since the car's weight is shifted onto the side with the bad bearing. The noise would usually go away when turning towards the bad side though, since all the weight is shifter to the other side.

The noise produced by a bad hab bearing is "turn sensitive". In other words it will be more pronounced when you say, turn to left than yo turn to right. Making some "S" and listening to noise pattern changes is one of the easiest ways to diagnose a bad hub bearing. Usually a bad LEFT hub bearing will make more noise when you make righ hand turns.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Mine made a noise like this from the connection of transmission to drive shaft... But on mine it was most noticeable at slow speeds... Some high temp grease forced in at the transmission output union, with my finger, solved my noise..

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Very good ideas all around. Do those S- Turns for sure and and listen to see what you hear. Also the first thing I was wondering when I read this was about your brakes. That grinding sound is terrible if the brakes got down that worn. I do not think most of us here would let brakes go that long though. Good luck, let us know what you find. I also agree about going to repair shops, they are rip offs everyware you go.

Archived