CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A Government Foot on Your Throttle

WarrenJ

Here's something scarey:

"The satellite-based system will monitor the speed limit and apply the brakes or cut out the accelerator if the driver tries to exceed it. A government-funded trial has concluded that the scheme promotes safer driving."

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1678707,00.html

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

thats a joke, the funny thing about it is who will they be hurting us or themselfs? because if you think about it, no speeding no tickets correct?...what would all the States and County do to make up all the lost revenue?

2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT Light platinum 39K miles

~Vogue VTXi Package - Corsa Exhaust - K & N Cold air intake - Blacked out tints

2004 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L all-whell drive Pewter 42k miles

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

1990 Mustang GT Painted Cadillac Diamond White - 604 Rwhp

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

2005 Cadillac STS V8(Dad)

2000 Eldorado ETC (Brother)

Here's something scarey:

"The satellite-based system will monitor the speed limit and apply the brakes or cut out the accelerator if the driver tries to exceed it. A government-funded trial has concluded that the scheme promotes safer driving."

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1678707,00.html

Regards,

Warren

A remote system that will throttle your speed is outright dangerous. I can easily visualize all the rear end collisions it will cause as the system makes a car slow down without driver assistance. Even the communists never thought of this!!! :lol::lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over it, the government funds all kinds of goofy experiments that never come to pass.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Good luck to the British with their satellite system. A similar land-based system is being tested in the U.S. Ostensibly to provide traffic warnings. But the libertarian in me can connect the dots.

The article below could easily fly below the radar of most drivers. It would not require much more equipment to have the car capable of responding to an interrogation from a roadside black box commanding the OBD system to spill its guts.

There goes your VIN, speed, emissions related codes, and on and on, to some level of government agency. But that could never happen here!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Folks,

Bill K notes , "I think I heard that the "over the road" truckers in the U.K. have to have a sat. system and will get a ticket if caught speeding by the system."

These systems have been in service in many "advanced countries" to some degree for many years. Typically, the transportation companies themselves discipline/terminate the drivers because of the stored or "live" data stream. The data-stream is extensive; but speed is only one element, hard-braking, long-idle time; and the list goes so on.

I have used such a system of over 15-years on our delivery vehicles. We are beta-testing the latest generation of Global-Login and active output OBC's (On-Board-Computers) that can disable (reduce engine power to an idle) in a given unit - if it goes off a predetermined course or violates other prescribed conditions (speeding, hard-braking, etc). The system include door latch detection , and can lock/unlock or activate/disable whatever is economically feasible.

Given recent security concerns (and the attendant loss of personal liberties), I would expect the "marketing" of these system to continue to accelerate and infiltrate every vehicle on the road - not just commercial trucks.

Think about the invention of the stoplight and our granparent's frustration with at taking away the "Traffic Cop". :o

This technology has existed for years, its just a matter of time. :(

Enjoy that gas pedal while you can... :unsure:

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

thats a joke, the funny thing about it is who will they be hurting us or themselfs? because if you think about it, no speeding no tickets correct?...what would all the States and County do to make up all the lost revenue?

Oh, I don't know . . . . raise taxes ?!?

BTW, wuddja think of their "congestion charge" (8 Pounds a day) over there?

Watch out New Yorkers! Can Mayor Bloomberg be far behind? (Actually he's already proposed it.)

Regards,

Warren <_>

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived