CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What to do w/engine out of car?

Bill K

I started to overheat and checked all the hoses, replaced thermostat & pump tensioner & belt & finally had air test into cylinders. Sure enough, its the head gasket.

They are going to timesert it and replace the head gasket. They mentioned replaceing the timing chain guides.

Now the car is in the shop (not dealers) and I'm wondering if there is anything else I should have done to the motor while its out of the car.

I havent had any leaks or other issues but at 114,000 mi. who knows what could be next.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

I just had my Northstar replaced. I bought a used engine. It has less than 10,000 miles on it. The mechanic suggested I buy all the engine seals. You should do the same. Since the engine is out you might as well. Mine is running perfect and no traces of any leaks. Can't think of anything else right now...

IPB Image

Guru has commented that you should never have to replace the chain guides. He has said that they will wear an initial groove in them and that is it. They may appear worn to an untrained eye who is not familiar with the Northstar.

When I had my 4.9 replaced I did what ever I could think of. All the gaskets,valve cover to oil pan includeing trans and tourk converter O-Rings and seals. Also did wires and plugs. I wish I had replaced water pump too, I should have. Also did the O-rings from the oil filter cooling housing that go on the two steel cooling lines and the O-rings on the steel lines ware they go into the radiator cooling jacket. It is much cheeper to do as many things as you can now with engine on a stand then in the car.

I started to overheat and checked all the hoses, replaced thermostat & pump tensioner & belt & finally had air test into cylinders. Sure enough, its the head gasket.

They are going to timesert it and replace the head gasket. They mentioned replaceing the timing chain guides.

Now the car is in the shop (not dealers) and I'm wondering if there is anything else I should have done to the motor while its out of the car.

I havent had any leaks or other issues but at 114,000 mi. who knows what could be next.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Bill,

I would change the torque converter seal and the "O" ring on the input shaft that seals the TCC oil supply. They are not expensive and relatively easy to change. 114,000 miles is a lot on a seal that you have to pull the engine to get to.

Leave the timing chain guides alone.

You could have them reseal the bottom end, as they seem to have chronic leaks at the case seals. Consider changing the front & rear main seals also.

Britt

Britt

Thanks for the input guys. I'll take these concerns up w/mechanic tomorrow.

I didnt mention that I was having a "soft" shift into reverse when the car is first started. They are going to address that problem also.

Bill K,

Look up one post (well, he was there a bit ago anyway), to JHall about his N* going back in. He has rebuilt it totally to the point that some might call it overkill.

In any case, he has covered a lot of info in his previous post as well. This one in particular notes the tranny speed sensor as a must-do-now type of thing.

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

you may want to inspect the . . . .  blower motor case.

jackc raises a VERY important point; our vehicles are known to suffer cracked blower motor housings. It can ONLY be replaced with the engine out of the car.

It deserves a real close look. ;)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived