CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Darn Tranny! HAHA!

AaronM

Well,

As you know, I have the NON Northstar 4.9L engine in my 1992 STS. I wanted to see what this extra line pressure felt like. So, I put the gear selector into 1. I slammed on the gas expecting it to shift to second when it red-lined like I always heard. Once it hit redline it just went crazy cutting in and out and did not shift!

I guess that option did not come with my engine/tranny combo! BUMMER! Haha!

It scared the bageezers out of me!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

Well,

As you know, I have the NON Northstar 4.9L engine in my 1992 STS. I wanted to see what this extra line pressure felt like. So, I put the gear selector into 1. I slammed on the gas expecting it to shift to second when it red-lined like I always heard. Once it hit redline it just went crazy cutting in and out and did not shift!

I guess that option did not come with my engine/tranny combo! BUMMER! Haha!

It scared the bageezers out of me!

How would it shift to the second if you limited it to the first? :blink:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

It seems that the transmissions that came with the Northstar shift whenever you reach redline if you put the gear selector in 1 or 2. Here is a quote from a post on Cadillacforums.com

If you leave the shifter in 1st or 2nd, it will shift from first to second to third to fourth at redline. It won't just sit there at redline and not upshift. Using 1st or 2nd also increases line pressure in the transmission for a harder, quicker shift than it would be in 3 or D. I always stick it in 1st before a race and let it shift itself.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showt...7538#post367538

I thought the same would apply to my car, but I guess not! ;)

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

AaronM,

What you experienced was most likely the PCM's rev limiter cutting the fuel off when you hit redline.

All 4.9's have the 4T60E transaxle while the N*'s have the 4T80E transaxle. While they are in similar cars and do a similar job, they are completely different units. I know that my 94 SLS will shift at redline, if the range selector is in 1st or 2nd. I haven't tried it in 3rd.

Be careful. Don't let preoccupation with the engine RPM and shifting take your mind off of driving the car. I know that when I was 16, I thought that I could handle anything. (I thought that I was immortal. :lol: )

Since those years, I have come to the conclusion that I was more lucky than good. Remember, at speed things can go to he!! very quickly!

Take Care,

Britt

Britt

How  would it shift to the second if you limited it to the first? :blink:

I would have the same expectation. It would be interesting to hear an authoratative answer.

Engagement of the rpm limiter sounds very plausible. EDIT: In fact, REQUIRED?!?

If you leave the shifter in 1st or 2nd, it will shift from first to second to third to fourth at redline. It won't just sit there at redline and not upshift. Using 1st or 2nd also increases line pressure in the transmission for a harder, quicker shift than it would be in 3 or D. I always stick it in 1st before a race and let it shift itself.

Absent knowledge of the source, I'm suspicious of this . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren,

Some transmissions are set up to shift at a given speed or RPM, no matter where the shifter is.

Some Turbo 400's in the 60's & 70's would snap shift from first to second faster than any human could shift a manual transmission! The Turbo 400 had a mechanical governor which could be "adjusted" to cause the transmission to shift at a given RPM of the output shaft.

I had a 68 big block Caprice that I had yanked the 325 HP 396 and replaced with a slightly detuned 425 HP 396. It would light up the tires on shifting from 1st to 2nd when left in L1 & WOT applied. It sure made believers out of quite a few guys who thought their cars were hot stuff! :P

It must have been quite an ego killer to have your favorite ride blown off by a 2 door notchback Caprice, complete with fender skirts! :lol:

Britt

Britt

Hi Britt!

Thanks for looking out for me! I am a responsible driver for my age. Some people I know acutally make fun of me because I won't speed, haha. Well...guess who was laughing when they got a speeding ticket :P. I do my "spirited" driving on an open country road when there are no cars around. I don't want to put someone else's life in danger. That would be plain stupid! But, I do appreciate that you gave me some words of wisdom! Many teens, including me, need to hear that every now and then! B)

-Aaron

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

How  would it shift to the second if you limited it to the first? :blink:

I would have the same expectation. It would be interesting to hear an authoratative answer.

Engagement of the rpm limiter sounds very plausible. EDIT: In fact, REQUIRED?!?

Absent knowledge of the source, I'm suspicious of this . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Warren,

Well, now I know that my transmisson will not go out of 1st when put into 1st. It does make sense, but I was hoping it would act like some other transmissions and shift to protect the engine instead of cutting out.

The quote was from someone on another forum (link provided). I agree, it is probably not a creditable source. Maybe someone who has tried putting it in 1st and slammed on it with the N* engine/tranny combo will tell us their experience. I love all these online forums because I can learn so much!

Will putting it in 2 and romping on it make a crisper shift with the 4.9L engine/tranny combo? The last time I tried it I did not notice any difference. But then again, it could just be me.

-Aaron

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

I had a 68 big block Caprice that I had yanked the 325 HP 396 and replaced with a slightly detuned 425 HP 396. It would light up the tires on shifting from 1st to 2nd when left in L1 & WOT applied. It sure made believers out of quite a few guys who thought their cars were hot stuff! :P

It must have been quite an ego killer to have your favorite ride blown off by a 2 door notchback Caprice, complete with fender skirts! :lol:

Great story!!!! It sounds like you had a nice "sleeper"! My 200HP gives me chills down my spine! I could not even imagine 400+ HP!!!! :D

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Aaron,

It is nice to know you are a responsible driver! So many kids of your age and girls (!) behave like idiots when they got behind the wheel! :angry:

Do not push the tranny to limits! Don't you have a GF to satisfy your curiosity? :P

No offense here. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Aaron,

It is nice to know you are a responsible driver! So many kids of your age and girls (!) behave like idiots when they got behind the wheel! :angry:

Do not push the tranny to limits! Don't you have a GF to satisfy your curiosity? :P

No offense here. :D

HAHAH! The tranny event scared the crap out of me! Trust me, I won't be doing that again!!! :D

LOL!! about the GF comment!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Warren,

Some transmissions are set up to shift at a given speed or RPM, no matter where the shifter is.

navion,

Thanks for that info. I never went above a Turbo 350; it was in a '70 Cutlass with the base 315hp 4-4-2 engine. It was a hauler though (and a looker). (Notchback).

It certainly NEVER did such a shift. Of course, in those days we didn't have OEM rpm limiters, so maybe I just didn't try hard enough! :D

I envy that 425hp Caprice! Back in those days my auto mechanic had a '69 Charger sixpack (also 425hp, if I recall). He gave me his car to drive when I brought mine in for service. WHAT THE *$%@!* WAS HE THINKING!?!

I brought my car in a LOT!

I DID, however, have an interesting Torqueflight. It sat under the floorboards of a 1963 MGB with a 283 (fuelly heads, Rochester 4bbl, custom headers) facing front. The Hemi exhauts faced the rear. That was pretty much anything anyone ever saw. :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren,

Well, now I know that my transmisson will not go out of 1st when put into 1st. It does make sense, but I was hoping it would act like some other transmissions and shift to protect the engine instead of cutting out.

Geeze, I think it DID act to protect the engine by invoking the rpm limiter! And I agree, it's sensible that the tranny should NOT go outta 1st without your agreement/request/command/permission.

What a hell of a surprise that might be!

I'm still having some difficulty believing that it's NORMAL for trannys to upshift beyond the gear selected by the driver.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

If you put your northstar car in first gear and mash the pedal to the floor it will hit second gear when it redlines the same as if you had it in drive. I experienced this myself when I tried manually shifting my Eldo and the motor hit redline faster than I could shift, it shifted to second before I could. that was before I realized how fast these motors can wind up

Archived