CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C Trouble

shelbymm

Okay guys...need a little help here...My 96 ETC has recently been blowing, well not so cold A/C...however, when you are driving down the interstate...its does all of the sudden get noticeably colder...The compressor does come on even when the A/C is turned on at idle, but the air I would say is over 80 degrees even when on MAX. Any thoughts???

Okay guys...need a little help here...My 96 ETC has recently been blowing, well not so cold A/C...however, when you are driving down the interstate...its does all of the sudden get noticeably colder...The compressor does come on even when the A/C is turned on at idle, but the air I would say is over 80 degrees even when on MAX. Any thoughts???

Have you checked the onboard diagnostics for trouble codes? Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER buttons on the climate control panel and post back any codes.

You are probably low on refrigerant - I would have expected the "AC Compressor disabled" message though. I would have the high and low pressures checked to make sure you haven't lost the entire charge. If the charge is gone, you will need to have the system leak detected, repair the leak and then evacuate and recharge the refrigerant.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Another possibility would be that the air mix door is out of adjustment or sticking. The door is controlled by vacuum, so it could be a hose vacuum disconnected or leaking. Look under the dash on the passenger side to see if there is anything obviously wrong. (I'm assuming that your car has a similar type of air mix door as my 94 SLS.) To check if your vacuum source is working, try selecting defrost & check to see if air actually comes out of the defrost vent. If it does, then select auto & 60 degrees. The air to the defrost vents should stop & the dash vents should start discharging air. If the air is hot out of the dash vents, switch back to the defrost while leaving the temp set to 60 degrees. See if the air is the same temp as the dash vents were. After doing these, whit the engine still running and the A/C selected @ 60 degrees, open the hood to check to see if the air conditioner receiver dryer is cold. If so, it is likely a mix door problem. Of not, it is probably the A/C system low on charge. Either way it would be a good idea to get the A/C system checked ad KHE suggests.

Britt

Britt

Archived