CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

To piston or not to piston?

iowaboy77

My 01 STS has developed a slight knock that has been diagnosed as coming from one or more pistons. There is a service bulletin recommending replacing pistons with a different configuration somehow or other. The service dept explained to me that the noise isn't hurting anything, so replacing them would be asthetic, but they would be glad to do it if I wanted them to. Its still under warranty.

Does anyone know what service bulletin they're referring to, and is it worth major surgery on my engine to make a slight ticking noise go away? Sounds risky, but they have yet to let me down, even for head gasket and timesert work on the old ELDO.

If it were me I would have the engine repaired. The new pistons and rings I believe are improved. However, IF they must remove the heads to do this job, the block must be time-serted. SO while the pistons will be done under warranty, the time-sert portion probably will not be... I would question the time-sert issue and see how much it will cost you..

Given my experience with dealerships I would not have the repair done....I'd just keep driving it.....Now if you trust your dealership (with you life..lol) then go for it..... Don't mean to further discourage you but just remember what happened to DTS DRIVER....http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5351&st=45....and remember Guru's comment:

"I would be almost certain that the problem originated with the teardown and re-build (hint: this is why I do NOT recommend that people go in and have their pistons replaced "free" under warranty....) "

Guess it all boils down to how much faith you have in your dealership.

A.J.

I'm under the impression that IF a N* engine is disassembled for major warranty repair (in this case pistons ) AND the heads come off, THEN timeserting is a required reassembly procedure. I might be wrong, but this well worth looking into further...

PS, are you sure this 'knock' isn't the minor annoynace type which is somewhat common in the engines, caused by carbon build up? I belive the first repair procedure (per bbobynski, remember him? ;) ) was copious amounts of WOT...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

So dismantling the engine requires time serts for reassembly? Hmm.

The dealer with most likely tell you that they will only Timesert any threads that pull. doing them all will assure you that you will not be back in 10K. I'd insist that they ALL are done as a precausion.

Yeah, it could be carbon buildup or anything else. I took it in for diagnosis.

I might have them do a fuel induction flush thingee and clean the carbon out good at my next oil change appt.

To replace the pistons, they're going to call an adjustor from GM to verify the problem. The same type of deal when they replaced my windshield. If they say its not broken, I'm not going to push it. I'm not a mechanical type person, I'll let them make the call.

As for timeserting... I'll look into that.

Archived