CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Noise after rotating tires

jrdjrd7

After 12,000 miles a friend of mine rotated his tires on his 1999 STS. After driving over 2,000 miles the tires still make a pretty loud noise. We thought any unevenness (is that a word?) would have gone away by now, but the noise is still loud. Anybody experienced this? Is there a fix? Thanks

If the tires have developed a 'cupped' or other wear pattern caused by alignment (or suspension bushings or wheel bearings or tire balance or ??) problems, it can take more than 2,000 miles for the tread wear pattern to conform to the 'new' tire position and direction of rotation.

The noise does not mean a "serious" problem exists.

My '98 gives me tire noise on black-top roads for some period of time after a rotation. I ignore it.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Ditto. I just did the first tire rotation on our Caravan with the new tires. They have about 6,000 miles on them. The front tires are definitely wearing in. The outer edges of the tread have a "sawtooth" pattern if you will. If you run your fingers against the tread forward, it's smooth. But if you run your fingers backward, it feels rough. My Nissan truck did the same thing, and to some extend, the Seville does it too. The tires "sing" now after the rotation. It's been less than 1000 miles, and the singing is subsiding somewhat.

If the tires were really worn in on the front (after 12k miles), it will take time to break the tread in to the new wear pattern. More frequent rotations will help.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived