CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Listen to my Motor

Since I'm getting my new motor put in on wednesday, I'll let you guys hear what it sounds like. Most likey a rod. YOu decide :D

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra2/valencialuis/Knock.wmv

copy/paste :roll:

You think I should drive it to the shop where the new motor is getting put in?? I hate to pay for another tow.

IPB Image

Its hard to tell, but take the accessory belt off and see if the noise goes away. It sounds exterior to the engine to me. Its also indicative that you focused on the accessory area..

Does the knock change in pitch, tone , or speed depending on RPM? I have a slight knocking sound, but it not very loud, and does not change with RPm, which I've diagnosed as a failing timing component, probably something like a bad chain tensioner, or a chip tooth on a sprocket. If the knock increases with speed and intensity depending on RPM, than it is probably soemthing directly related to the rotatin assembly (i.e. crank, rods,..ect). I'm including an page from my service manual abotu diagnosing engine noises, and there possible causes. Hope this helps you.

post-3-1119362270_thumb.jpg

Your link wouldn't let me in, something about

"Angelfire does not allow direct linking

from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,

to files hosted on Angelfire"

And it goes on to say something about how doing so would prevent them from hosting web pages.....DUH!

Anyway, any tricks to make the link work?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Well, I took it to the shop. I decided to drive the car to the shop even with the knock. Definately a rod. It died on my about halfway there. Started to knock like crazy. Then it just died. She's done. No more life in her. But that's ok. The replacement engine will be transplanted by friday. :) I got 4.4 miles down the road before she died if you're wondering.

IPB Image

So THAT'S what a busted rod sounds like! Thanks Scotty.

So how did you bust it?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived