CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 STS front end rattle, radiator, idle

Monaco500

Hello,

I have a '94 STS with a rattle in the front end. The shop said it was the shocks/struts and wanted over $600 per side for the front not including labor saying that the electronic gas-charged shocks and surrounding struts are that expensive. Is that indeed the problem and is there a cheaper solution? Is this a job for the driveway mechanic?

My radiator is leaking and I need to replace it. Any reasonable sources for a new radiator?

The idle on my car has been sticking lately when I come to a stop, or when I start the car cold. Idle is usually around 600 rpm but when it sticks it is between 1500 and 1900. The shop said it was likely the fuel injection system and/or carbon buildup in the intake. I had them decarbonize the intake and flush the fuel injection system. $200 later, the car still does it and my gas mileage has dropped 0.5 mpg. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!!

Eric

1. Might be sway bar links and/or bushings. Seems to be a very common complaint.

2. Is it the radiator or the side tanks which are replacable. Can't help on sources as I have never had to replace one. Someone will chime in.

3. Remove the MAF sensor and scrub the TB bore and throttle plate with and old tooth brush and carb cleaner. You'll be amazed at the carbon in there and that'll cure the sticky throttle.

The idle on my car has been sticking lately when I come to a stop, or when I start the car cold. Idle is usually around 600 rpm but when it sticks it is between 1500 and 1900. The shop said it was likely the fuel injection system and/or carbon buildup in the intake. I had them decarbonize the intake and flush the fuel injection system. $200 later, the car still does it and my gas mileage has dropped 0.5 mpg. Any thoughts?

A high idle sounds like your ISC (Idle Speed Control Motor) is acting up.

This also is a common failure for the early Northstars.

I've repaired mine twice in the past few years.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Hey Barry99

I had the same rattle on mine which is a 94 also. The rattle was noticeable on the drivers side. After getting under the car i noticed the sway bar bushing on the drivers side was worn out. I replaced both sides mine was 19mm. You need to call the dealer parts dept. Give them your vin # and they will tell you what size your bushings are. I found out that there are 4-different sizes. I also changed the sway bar links on both sides. The ride, steering, and response is like new and the noise is gone. The bushings only cost me $15.00 for both sides and the links were $45-each. cheap price for a easy fix. :D

Archived