CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Chewing Gum on Paint

navion

I drove through a local parking lot and apparently some jerk had spit a double or triple wad of green chewing gum out. It was about 90 degrees out & the asphalt was probably at about 100 degrees. Needless to say, when my tires picked it up it plastered green gum strings all over the wheel wells and the passenger doors! :angry:

Well, green gum & black paint are not a good color match, even to me. :P

So my question is, how in he(( do I get this mess off with out turning it into a total disaster? :o

I'm beginning to think that Singapore has the right idea, gum is illegal due to dweebs spitting it on the sidewalks. (or so I've heard) :P

Any Ideas will be appreciated.

Britt

Britt

Home Depot (and probably many other places) stock ZEP Purple concentrate cleaning fluid. Mix it up one part ZEP to 3 or 4 parts water. Spray the mixture on the crud and other undesirables (like gum) and wait 5 minutes. Reapply and rub lightly with a wash mitt.

Flush with clean water. You will be amazed at the crap that ZEP will disolve / remove.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks guys, I'll try one of these products & let you know how it worked.

Britt

Britt

One old trick is to use a bag of ice. Hold it against the gum spots to freeze them, then flake the gum off with your fingernail, tongue depressor or popsicle stick.

We would do this to remove pine tree sap from our cars in Florida.

Jhall,

In the good old days we used to tap a 12 oz can of R-12 & use that to freeze the gum. It would even take it out of carpet & mohair upholstery! A can of R-12 was $.48 cents at the local discount store! Today, the darn Freon is worth more than the upholstery! (Almost) & also illegal to release in that manner.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

The Ideal way would be to find the slob who spit it out & "encourage" him to remove it from my paint & wheel wells, preferably with his tongue. ;)

Britt

Britt

Bug and tar remover, kerosene, lighter fluid, Goobegone, Dawn. I'd think any number of things would do it easily and safely.

Kerosene? Lighter fluid? SAFELY ?!? :(

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Wellllllllllllllllllll,

I wasn't planning to light it. :P

Actually Warren, I believe that the "safely" was referring to damage or lack thereof to the paint.

Britt

Britt

Archived