CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Voltage at DIC 13.2v, checked out at low 14's

Cad1

Noticed my voltage was fairly low 13's so I expected the alternator was bad. I brought it to the auto parts store and it showed low 14's. Is the DIC a bit off or is something else playing into it? I'm pretty sure it was 14's before at the DIC.

The guy testing it had me sweating, leaning all over the fender that I spent a month patching. Didn't bother to correct him since it seemed like I was asking for the moon just to get him to perform the test and I had to help him.

Cad1

92 Deville w/210k miles

If your battery is able to crank the engine as expected, I would not lose sleep over a voltmeter reading.

Remember, most of the circuit components in a voltage reading device are 10% tolerance items. Highly unlikely to read the same voltage down to tenths with two brand spanking new voltmeters.

System voltage is going to vary (slightly) with temperature also.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Noticed my voltage was fairly low 13's so I expected the alternator was bad. I brought it to the auto parts store and it showed low 14's. Is the DIC a bit off or is something else playing into it? I'm pretty sure it was 14's before at the DIC.

The guy testing it had me sweating, leaning all over the fender that I spent a month patching. Didn't bother to correct him since it seemed like I was asking for the moon just to get him to perform the test and I had to help him.

Cad1

At first, who told you that low 13 is bad? It is absolutely normal. Just remember that voltage flactuates all the time. As JimD said, the battery cranks the engine normal, so why bother? Who told you that voltage should be above 14V? It's depends of a lot of things. Don't waste your time and money anymore. Sleep well :D

NOPE! 13 is just fine..... Remember depending upon the ambient temp your charging rate will fluctuate. A charging rate of 13 to 13.4 is VERY common on my car.... Whereas I see higher charging rates in the winter months. Don't worry about it...

Archived