CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need a used Northstar

Well, I don't know if anyone here remembers but 6 months ago my 98 STS started knocking really loud. Now that I have returned from a 6 month deployment I've been able to get it to a dealer. They told me it's the rod bearing. They quoted me $10,000 to get a new engine put in. There's no way I can do that. So I'm looking for a used one. My dad found one in Florida with 77K miles on and it's $1,600. And $700 to install. Plus, $600 to ship my car to FL. I'm in San Diego. If anyone knows of an engine I'd appreciate. Maybe with less miles. Or if anyone knows a cheap auto transport company I'd really appreciate it. I'm planning on doing this this week. As of now I'm relying on friends to drive me everywhere.

IPB Image

Speedyman_2,

Sorry to hear about your engine problems.

Just curious, wouldn't it be cheaper to ship the engine to where the car is & have it installed there?

Before biting the bullet, there is one test that I would do. Take the serpentine belt off & see if the knock disappears. If so, then you may have an accessory that is causing the knocking. I know that is a long shot, but I would try it before I dropped that kind of change.

The next thing would be to remove the oil filter & cut it open to see if there is metal in the element. If so, then she is going to require major surgery or a transplant.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Could be pie in the sky ... but my 95 etc (120k at the time) started sounded like a rod bearing failure couple of yrs ago ... turned out to be the cat. It was diagnosed by a local shop and the noise went away in a couple of weeks. Still haven't replace the cat.

Good luck.

Try your local wrecking yards, in Dallas a Northstar runs $850.00 whether there is 10,000 or 200,000 miles. Bought a 3.5L BMW from one here and it was bad, said he had

another one coming in a week or so and it turned out to be next to new with factory psi across the top. Inside the valve covers looked like a new engine. Ask them how many miles were on it when it came in...they know.

Try your local wrecking yards, in Dallas a Northstar runs $850.00 whether there is 10,000 or 200,000 miles. Bought a 3.5L BMW from one here and it was bad, said he had

another one coming in a week or so and it turned out to be next to new with factory psi across the top. Inside the valve covers looked like a new engine. Ask them how many miles were on it when it came in...they know.

Well, I found a used one. $1,700 Less than 10,000 miles. I'll get all new seals. Installed for another $500. I plan on keeping as many parts as I can that are left over. Maybe the other intake and trottle body. Maybe mod them later on. But, hey, I finally get my car fixed. It will be so great to have my STS back :) I cleaned the interior the other day. It's like brand new. I'm glad I didn't just junk the car and buy something else.

IPB Image

Archived