CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Throttle stuck on me, don't know why.

Cad1

I was cruising along and I noticed my tach was stuck on 2 grand. I turned off the radio and cut on the AC to try to low the revs a bit. Pulled the floor mats back away from the pedal and slipped my foot under the pedal to pull it up. Then I reached under the dash a few times to pull on it by hand. Did a brake check to make sure I could stop her without an issue before I got boxed in. I knew I didn't want to shut the car off or go to neutral and have to neutral-bang it from a stop. After trying about 10-15 throttle pops she went back to normal. Pulled the intake off and cleaned it out but never saw the source of the problem. Any ideas?

Cad1

92 Deville w/210k miles

Cad1,

Did you determine if the throttle was mechanically stuck? You might want to check the throttle cable to make sure it's not starting to fray inside the sheath. Pull the cable off of the throttle and check the movement of the throttle arm and the cable separately.

To back up Ranger for sure... sounds incredibly similar to my experience last summer with my '90.

The throttle body is the heart of our old girls and they really like frequent cleaning. You can also take a small (kid's size) toothbrush and clean the EGR tubes that you can find (the tops of) by looking down the bore of the open throttle body.

I replaced the ISC motor first and found the same result until I cleaned the body itself... now I have a spare ISC motor...

Mike P

Archived