CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Tires

I'm in need of new tires on my 1998 Seville STS. I bought the car last year with Falken Ziex 512's. I liked them a lot and I would like to get them again. But, I've heard good things about the Yokohama Avid V4's. What tire do you guys suggest??

IPB Image

I'm at least a year away from doing new tires myself, but since it seems we're gonna go through this tire thing again, AND since I'm a tired old fart where it come to pencil-thin whitewalls, might some of the respondents also offer WW suggestions?

Regards,

Warren :D<_>

P.S. No intent to hijack this, jes lookin' for a little sidecar info along the way.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

What do you want out of your tires? Comfort, handling, high speed, long life? Start there and let it guide you to your choice.

Well, I want all of those. But speed rating is alright at "H" My STS cuts off at 130mph. So there really is no need for anything higher. The Falkens provided a good ride as well as excellent wet traction and handling. Just wondering if anyone has had the Avid's before. I think I'll be going with the Yokohamas if no one posts some really negative crap about them.

IPB Image

Before all the Michelin fans chime in, I would like to report continued satisfaction with my purchase of Cooper's Lifeliner Touring SLE tires, H rated, for my 94 Eldo.

Going on 15,000 miles now and they are wearing great, handling great and they look good too. Also American made.

Kent

Before all the Michelin fans chime in, I would like to report continued satisfaction with my purchase of Cooper's Lifeliner Touring SLE tires, H rated, for my 94 Eldo.

Going on 15,000 miles now and they are wearing great, handling great and they look good too. Also American made.

Kent

I'd guess you'd snuck that in just in time!! :D:D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yeah, JUST in time! ;)

I would look at the tirerack.com, and look through ALL the tire brands and read the reviews. Most people on there aren't tire experts, but I think you get a good feel for how the tires will perform in most situations I think.

They have a great search tool where you can search for your tire size (225/60R16 if stock) and choose which brands you want to see (or don't want to see). It'll give you all the tires THEY carry (but of course you don't have to buy from them), and then you can read customer reviews of the tires. I think it's a good research tool.

Warren, for the classy thin whitewalls, I don't think you can go wrong with a set of Michelin Symmetry tires. We ALMOST bought those for our Caravan, but went with the Michelin Agility instead (not available in whitewall). The Agility is what I'm mounting on the Cadillac (very) soon when the Pilots finally give up the ghost.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE H/V rated is a real good tire Handles very good. I had a set on the dts for about 10k and it rode good and handled very well. I went to Michelin Energy MXV4 plus as a replacement The MXV4's ride better on the highway but do not handle as well as the coopers The Coopers Handle like the Michilin pilot series.All and all I would go with Cooper again However the price diff. is not that great between the tires maybe 10 bucks a tire

Good Luck

Jim

i have yokohamas avid 4 on the front of my corvette this is my 2nd set the first set startes dry rotting a little bit on the sidewalls after 4 yrs of sitting thev ride great they look great on your car and yokahomas warranty is much better than michelin yokohoma replaced my tires at 100% no hassle when the same thing happened to my michelins that are on the rear they had 70% tread left michelin would

only give 30% credit against there retail price wich came to 298 for the pair the price from tire rack for avids is 258 a pair when ireplace these tires i will go with yoko no question the ride is excellent and thier warranty policy is a lot more liberal

Most tire companies make great tires, and we all have our favourites.

The only suggestion I would make is to first determine what you want out of a tire.

Eg: Handling, quiet ride, rain, tread wear, etc., then have a look at that offering from selected brands.

A few years I put "Touring" tires on the STS and was reasonably happy with them until I put the next set of tires on a few weeks ago.

I went with more of a performance tire. (BFG Traction T/A)

Not that I am a fast driver or a high speed cornering addict, just the improved stability feeling of the performance tire over the touring tire suited my comfort zone.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

There are a lot of decent tires out there to choose from. I have had great success with Michelin Symmetry and Michelin Pilots. The Symmetry tires seem a little softer and quieter if comfort and low noise is more important to you. The Pilots stick to the road like glue but they're a little louder... not too much though. Treadwear on both seem to be very good.

The only thing I would probably steer clear of is the Goodyear RS/A tires. I have had two sets of them. My experience has been that the treadlife was pretty bad on them and they start out quiet but quickly become noisy and not very good at holding the road in bad weather.

I haven't had anything other than the Goodyear's and Michelin's is so long that I really don't know much about any other brand. I had Firestone's that were pretty good but that was quite a while back and I couldn't even tell you which specific tire it was that we had.

I am buying new tires tommorow going with michelins i blew a tire this morning and when i got home with the dummy on my dad gave me the nod to buy 4 new ones :D I am just glad I wasnt going any faster when my tire blew :unsure:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Let us know which Michelin tire you get! For your style of driving, I think the Pilot XGT H4 would be an appropriate choice (unless your car has the Z-rated tire, in which case your tire choices are somewhat narrowed).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I just purchasd a set of BF GOODRICH TRACTION T/A tires for my STS and I love them.They are a very quiet , smooth riding and pretty good handling tire. I dont know what the speed rating is but they are 235/60/16 . I got them at Tire discounters when they had buy 3 get 4th tire free. My wife put a set on her AWD Vibe and they worked excellent in the snow., and they made a very big improvement on dry pavement also. :o

Since you probably travel on the "longest bridge over ice" I would assume you have a lot of snow there. For me that was a big consideration in getting the Coopers. They are not as good as dedicated snow tires but I have had no problems in MI winters and they do handel well on dry pavment.

(Went under your bridge last Sept. Very impressive.)

Warren, for the classy thin whitewalls, I don't think you can go wrong with a set of Michelin Symmetry tires. We ALMOST bought those for our Caravan, but went with the Michelin Agility instead (not available in whitewall). The Agility is what I'm mounting on the Cadillac (very) soon when the Pilots finally give up the ghost.

Thanks for that input! :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived