CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 sts vs gen 2 camaro

troyboy

I race a 2000 camaro with a 3.8L V6 with a y78 package [3.45 GEARS] 5 speed , headers, cold air intake, and dont know what else it had. with my 94 sts with exhaust, fram air hog, air box mod, we race from a 30 mph roll he took off before i did and so he pulled a hafe a car on me as we kept going i got to were our hoods were the same. we shut down at 90 or so, it was almost dead even!! He said his car ran a 14.8 @ 96mph I couldnt beleave that he kept up as good as he did!! :angry: are those cars quick at all ???

You could be slowing your car down with the mods. Do you know for a fact that those mods work? Bbobynski warned that modes could actually throw off the Northstar computer and end up hampering performance. If you want to increase performance install a limited slip differential.

http://www.phantomgrip.com/

The recent V6 Camaros are certainly quicker than they used to be. The new V6 Mustangs are also a lot quicker than they used to be. I think 7.0 or 7.1 seconds to 60. In a good race, that wouldn't best many of our cars, but if he had the hole shot, it'd take you a while to catch back up.

In the latest Car & Driver, they tested $30k sedans. The new Toyota Avalon (with a 280-hp V6) does 0-60 in 6.0 flat. That beats every single one of us! 1/4 mile in 14.5 or something. The AVERAGE for that test was in the 7.0 second range. Even the V6 Chrysler 300 did a respectable 7.3. The 3.6L Buick LaCrosse did it in 7-flat. Cars are quicker than they used to be.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

A 2000 Camaro I believe is a 4th generation as opposed to a 2nd generation.

As I understand:

1967-69 is the 1st generation of the Camaro/Firebird line. Some of these cars are quite spunky, while some are defiently lacking. Stock for stock the STS should win the acceleration hands down. Modifications, that's a different story.

1970-81 is the second 2nd generation. I'd be cautious of certain 1970 models. Additionally I'd be cautious of all Trans Am's from 1970-1972 and 1973 & 1974 models with 455 SD engines. I'd be carefully locking horns with a 1970 Z28 as well. Can't comment on 1971 and on Z28's due to compression ratio, horsepower & torque reductions beginning in 1971 for GM cars. Again, the STS is in good shape against the vast majority of these cars. Besides, it's getting very rare to see 1st & 2nd generation Camaro's & Firebirds on the road. Never mind the limited production high performance cars. Again, mods are a different animal.

1982-1992 is the 3rd generation. Be aware of certain limited modles. For example, early 1990's Firehawks and 1989 30th Anniversary Trans Am's comes to mind.

1993-2002, the 4th generation. Don't know much about these, but I believe the V8 models will just about take you as long as the driver knows how to bang gears. As noted, even some of these V6's are spunky.

MHO of course

Jim

I raced a 98 or 99 V6 Camaro once and I had him from start to finish! I am pretty sure it was an automatic though! I got him off the line and pulled away from him until I was ahead a car length and a half , then I let off and he passed me, but I noticed he had a huge Japanese pipe muffler! It was the first I have ever seen on a Camaro! I think that was his biggest modification! :lol:

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Archived