CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dirty Fuel ? or Something Else ?

Matt

Good Morning to Everyone. It sure is getting hot. Well the car performed very well this Am on the way to work. I hope it stays this way. The charging volts were at 14.2, very happy about that. Very good about Spruce going to contact me, Thanks.. I have to go on the road for work but I'm not ready to take my car just yet. More time is needed, I may even put in one more ground the first cool weather we get. I saw anoter nice spot and I think it cant hurt anything. Got to run guys, catch a all later.

Matt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Morning to Everyone.  It sure is getting hot. Well the car performed very well this Am on the way to work. I hope it stays this way. The charging volts were at 14.2, very happy about that. Very good about Spruce going to contact me, Thanks.. I have to go on the road for work but I'm not ready to take my car just yet. More time is needed, I may even put in one more ground the first cool weather we get. I saw anoter nice spot and I think it cant hurt anything. Got to run guys, catch a all later.

Matt

Matt,

Did you not get my Email reply last night? :unsure: I still have the manuals, and sent you some photos of them. I will definitely give you the first shot at them. Congrats on getting the car running great again, I can imagine how good that feels! B)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Matt,

Have the symptoms returned? How is the car running now? Hopefully you have it licked. B)

Britt

Britt

Matt,

Have the symptoms returned? How is the car running now? Hopefully you have it licked. B)

Britt

Navion,

Just got an Email from Matt today, so I thought I'd fill you in. He is on the road for work, but he did send me this message...

"My ride seems ok now, I even used the AC yesterday and it was fine. The charging volts are from 13.8 to 14.3 volts. It looks as though adding those heavy duty ground wires did the trick."

That is great news, seems to have it nailed down! B)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Thank God! That was difficult to diagnose. Plus he had multiple problems, distributor, PCM, alternator, battery. I wonder if the missing ground could have caused the alternator and pcm problem, with looping feedback grounds...?

Spruce,

Thanks for the update.

I'll bet that the grounding situation was the root cause of a lot of the previous problems. I'll bet that when they pulled the old engine, they forgot to unhook a few wires. & the wires got stretched & broke most of the conductor strands. The ground ampacity was reduced as a result. In addition, Matt mentioned that there was one ground that was missing completely!

This is really a testament to how rugged the computer components are in the Caddy. Most computers will fry instantly or not work at all if there are grounding problems, backfeeds, and low voltage.

Britt

Britt

It was quite a struggle guys but things are sure feeling good. Its been a few days now since I added those grounds and its been fine since. I'm ready to say now that the missing grounds was the problem. I needed a few days time to run her and test things to be sure. It is funny how it ran so well without a good ground system for so long and then gave up the ghost. How ever it was getting its ground connection to keep it going is a mystery to me but I feel that the poor ground it was getting is what took its toll on the battery and alternator. The alternator must have been doing double time and the battery must have been in a state of discharge when ever the car was being used. I cleaned it up today and waited for the cooler evening to head out for a ride. I went out alone so I could put her through some paces. First stop was for Sunoco 94 and then out to a quiet winding road out of town and then for a nice cruse. The power comes on good and strong, wheels chirp or spin, it's opperators choice. It runs good and fast and is very tight on the road. It feels different some how now. I feel different about it now to. I think it's because of what I have gone through and how much I have fixed and done on it. I have learned so much with the car. There are so many new parts on it, it's a good feeling. I can't wait to receive the service manuals I bought from Sprucegoose. I want to learn more about her. Thanks Lary. There are a few other things to look into but all in time. What a great riding car. I can now start thinking about my new exhaust system again, it will be a nice throaty sound when I'm done. I plan on doing that my self too. Why not!! I want new tires also and It would be nice to get rid of those super heavy rims. They are nice but weigh a ton, Something sporty and light would be nice.It's good to dream. Sunday will be in the mid 90s around here, I'm going to take it out locally and put the AC on and see what the temps get up to. I need some more confidence building. Time to let the bow wow outside and then hit the rack. Take care guys.

The weather was as predicted today, 94 hot and humid. It made a good test for the AC. All worked as it should. I ran it hard and then did some idleing just to see what the temps got up to. I saw a range of 207 up to 227F. The voltage ranged from 13.8 to 14.2 I could not ask for anything better. All is good.

Hey. There was a ground stud, the only thing left is half a threaded hole for a stud to screw into. I guess the jerks that put the engine in hit the stud snapping part of the casting for the stud right off. I put a very heavy duty braded ground strap in the same area and another at a bell housing location to the frame. Catch ya Monday.

Archived