CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2004 STS They DO exist

OynxSTS

My parents are looking a buying a 2004 STS...

Yes it’s a real STS, VIN 9 motor and everything...

I have noticed a couple of differences between it an my 2002 car

1) Tail pipe extensions are the 93-97 "split" kind not the "Siamese’ed" 98-03 kind

2) Northstar logo is the "new" N* not the old "32 Valve" one

3) Magna ride is noticeably firmer and yet smoother than CV System… NICE

4) I've read the GM only made 257 '04 STSs is this right?

5) Northstar “lid” is different reads “Northstar Series 300 300HP”

6) No indication of speed rating on the tires... Were they all "W" rated?

Has anyone else seen/driven one of these rare birds?

Are my observation correct?

The reason I ask... Is that this car was/is driven by the dealer’s owner’s son... He has already replaced the Goodyears. (Michelin Pilots! Nice!). He might be the kinda guy who likes to customize his ride...

My parents are also a little worried that this car might have been rear ended and this is why the back looks different than mine... (tips and badges.. come on!)

So I crawled underneath the car and it looks clean… No stretch mark from an accident… and the exhaust looks stock…

PS it has the Nav System too... Cool but it might take some getting used to…

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I am not aware of any 2004 STS, but there are others here who have a little more expertise than I.

I would like to note that we have a 2003 STS that has the dual, rolled, older style muffler tips as well as the newer style Northstar badge. It rides considerably better than my 2000... the ride is much stiffer and the car just feels like it hugs the road better. I suppose I can attribute this to both the more advanced magnetic ride control and the larger diameter wheel and tire set - which are Z-rated IIRC. The car is also equipped with the in-dash DVD nav system. I do not know if the engine cover reads anything unusual.

Black, gold package presentation, "Shale" two toned interior. Interesting note - the steering wheel is of a different design than mine and is finished in the darker dash color.

I remember reading somewhere on the web that the '04 Seville STS was not available in the U.S.A. All '04 Seville models sold in the U.S.A. were SLS versions.

The reason given was to provide a one-year disconnect in the domestic market for the the name "STS" for '05.

So, if Seville STS models were built for the '04 model year, they could easily have been shipped across the river and that might make them a vehicle of interest to collectors at some future point.

I am unable to verify any of the above.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I thought they went back to the oval tips on the last 2003's. In fact - I know I saw it. Far as I know there were no 2004 STS' but it is possible that a scant few 'slipped out'.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on collector value though. But if it's nice and a good value - you'll have on unique STS - especially with that new Northstar logo.

~Doc

Regarding the exhaust tips, I've noticed three distinctly different tips on the various Northstar cars (minus the 1990s Devilles that didn't have stainless tips).

1) Common 92-97 style. Quad tips, rolled edges, "straight" cut (when viewed from the side). I believe these are also used on various 98-04 cars.

2) Less common quad style from 1998-on. I can't pinpoint which cars got these, but I know many Devilles got them. I don't know if I've seen a Seville with them. They're quad tips, just like the earlier style. Also have rolled edges. Diagonal or slant cut when viewed from the side.

3) Siamesed tips as stated above.

I have an '03 brochure and all of the cars in that one used either quad tip style. I like #2 above the best, and I'd swap mine out in a heartbeat if I ever found a set.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Speaking of exhaust tips,

I have noticed early 92 model year STSs with different tips than that of the rest of the model run.

They are similar to the rounded ones, as in there are two on each side, only they are not round but more of an elongated octogon.

There is one a few streets over from me, but I have seen others like with tips like them to, so it must have been an early-model-year thing.

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

That's an interesting link Jim. And when I was looking to buy, I heard the same as everyone else about the STS not being around at all for one year because of the new model. And my second choice in color would have been a Thunder Gray, but the only ones I ever saw were SLS's. I was told because of when the color came out, there wouldn't be too many STS's in that color. I wonder if anybody here has one in that color? And I've only noticed two types of exhaust tips, but then, I really haven't been checking them closely. Here's my 01 tips, which I'm guessing are the most common. Jimtips.jpg

Yes, I drove one. No, it's the 2005 STS that was not marketed in USA, just the SLS. They all (2004 STS's) had MagnaRide. They drive hard (too stiff) so they SHOULD all be "W" rated, but not sure. The steering wheel controls for the cruise are junk, mounted on the steering wheel.

You left out HID headlights.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

This story is not going to have a happy ending...

I had my father completely sold on this black on black 2004 STS with Nav (one of 62 made it looks like)... And I'm thinking cool... This car is at least as rare as my "Canadian" '87 Olds 442 w/T-tops... (1 of 340)

But the dealer is "asking" $8000 more than the wholesale trade-in value... Now I'm cool with dealers making a grand or two profit per car... but over $8K.... Plus it’s a smokers car... We offer a "fair" price of $2000 over the trade-in value (based on the computer printout that the dealer provided us by the way) and the salesman says we are too far apart and he won't even counter-offer... Argh...

Here’s where it gets really ugly... My parents called me today... All excited... They found a 2004 Lexus ES330 that they have to have... :angry::(:(:angry:

Even after I told them if they are considering a 330 just by a Camry... No luck they are still in love... And the Lexus dealer is asking more than the STS...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised my dad was an "Oldsmobile Man" He next car was going to be a new Aurora… He doesn’t know what to buy now...

I'm having a very bad day...

caddy.jpg

Greg

This car is at least as rare as my "Canadian" '87 Olds 442 w/T-tops... (1 of 340)

What makes your "Canadian" '87 442 different from any other '87 442?

Sorry for the completely off topic post.

Though I have read that some RWD Caddies used the Vin 9 High Output Olds 307.. (There, that almost brings it on topic! :lol::lol: )

Canadian 442’s contain Option Z49 in addition to Option Z42 that make them 442's... Essentially the US and Canadian cars are the same...

Differences include:

1) Canadian Cars have a 120km Speedo

2) Lots of 1/2 English 1/2 French decals

3) Different Catalectic Converter

4) I've heard rumours that Canadian cars have different bumper isolators but I can find no evidence of this...

The Canadian Auto Regulations were a little ahead of the US in the 80’s regarding crash protection and a little behind in terms of emissions. For example GM Canada used non-computer controlled QJets in cars about 5 years past their use in the States…

Other than that everything that makes a 442 a 442 is there (Vin 9 Engine, Tranny, 8 ½” diff)... According to GM 350 442's came North in ’87… about 1/3 of which were T-Top cars...

caddy.jpg

Greg

Though I have read that some RWD Caddies used the Vin 9 High Output Olds 307.. (There, that almost brings it on topic! :lol::lol: )

The 1986 Fleetwood Brougham and 1987-1990 Brougham and Brougham d'Elegance (RWD models) used the Olds 307 cu-in engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The 1986 Fleetwood Brougham and 1987-1990 Brougham and Brougham d'Elegance (RWD models) used the Olds 307 cu-in engine.

The Olds 307 was offered in two flavours: VIN Y (regular) and VIN 9 (high output). Some literature suggests that the VIN 9 307 was available on some D-cars as part of a coachbuilder package; presumably, the lumpier idle would not be an issue in the case of a hearse. :) I have never seen a VIN 9 D-car.

Though I have read that some RWD Caddies used the Vin 9 High Output Olds 307.. (There, that almost brings it on topic! :lol::lol::)

I've heard that rumor too, though I can't find any evidence to support it. Millions of VIN Y 307s were installed into Cadillacs of the time, but no VIN 9 307s that I could find. Starting in 1987, the VIN 9 motors lost 10 hp over the previous model years engines anyway, so it wasn't much of a barnstormer anyway in a big Cadillac.

Archived