CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

rear shock replacement

My rear shocks are on there way out and after a 103000 miles I guess thats not bad. My only problem is that the price for one of these shocks is completly outrageuos. I had 2 dealers in my area quote me 900 dollars a side for parts alone. I'm a college student and can't afford this crap esp since my radiator just went. I see I can get them from some places online for close to 700 but I doubt either dealer will install them for me. How can GM charge so much for these stupid things esp since the car is 10 years old and it isn't worth repairing it for that price. :angry:

Now that I got that off my chest has anyone ever replaced the rear shocks on their cars. I'd like to know what kind of job I'd be getting myself into if I decided to do it myself.

try arnott or boston suspension price is about 299 for 2 the rears are a *smurf* to break loose otherwise not too bad of job boston shocks come with new mounting hardware but u have to solder in resistor for error codes arnott shocks have the resistor attached to the shocks an u just plug in but the dont give u new mounting harwarearnott

boston

We had the rear shocks on our 94 Deville replaced with passive shocks by the dealer. It was more than I would have paid for, let's say our 87 Monte Carlo, but hell, it is a Cadillac. They replaced both shocks and put resistors on the electrical connections to dupe the computer. It cost ~300 bills. I think these guys would rather come up with a good fix that does not rape thier customers and still makes them some money. I have respect for the mechanics and the service manager who take that route. You make a profit on the repair and build customer confidence in your establishment. Hay, repeat sales, word of mouth, clean consious. Good business.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I made a Power Point presentation on how to do the rear shocks on my 93 STS. Yours should be very similar.

They still work great.

-George

Best viewed with Iexplorer.

1993 STS Passive Shock Replacement

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived