CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Horns stopped working...

I pulled the infamous trumpet horns out of an old 80's Buick about two years ago, and bolted them up to the STS.

The STS was missing one of the two horns it was supposed to have anyway, so it was only honking the "f" note horn. I mounted the low "D" horn down in front of the left fender well where the stock horn was missing from, and mounted the remaining "a" and "c" horns behind the grille, on a steel piece.

Now they have all stopped working, except for the original "f" which is mounted behind the battery, inside the fender.

I realize there could be a variety of reasons, like bad connections, the horns themselves giving up, or maybe a fuse.

Could anyone offer some insight? I am not to keen with electrical knowledge, but I did try clipping a 12V battery charger to the + and the ground of each horn and they did NOT mke a sound. That sort of surprised me.

Thanks for any help, I look forward to having all of them working again! (because we all know how Caaaoooooooohhhhhhlllllll they sound! B) lol

^ ^

"insert horn sound here"

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

STS Scott,

Horns typically take a good amount of power.

Their priciple of operation is pretty simple.

Next thing to check is the ground on the mounting steel plate, etc.

Unless three horns 'burned out' simultaneously, it is probably

a ground, since you made sure 12v + was applied with no result.

Loosen, clean(?), and re-tighten the grounds.

Best of luck to you.

my .02.

A long shot, I'll admit, but you might want to check/adjust the horn current.

Regards,

Warren

post-3-1117597653_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Here's a quick technique that might help point you in the right direction:

Disconnect the horn that IS working. Engine off, headlights on. Sound the horn. If your headlights dim, you'll know the bad horns ARE drawing current (likely excessive current). If the headlamps do not dim, you can safely assume the horns are NOT drawing any current. Might help you guess in which direction to rotate the current adjustment screw.

Of course, if you get the horns working this way, you'll want to make a proper current adjustment.

That said, CadiKings's suggestion regarding a poor ground is where I'd put my money.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: P.S. Unless the battery charger you used had greater than a 20 amp capacity it likely didn't have the intestinal fortitude to light up the horns.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

One of my horns didn't work when I first purchased my eldo. I checked the current to the horn by disconnecting it and hooking up a test light to the connector wires, while a friend honked the horn, sure enough the light lit. That same friend told me to take it out a beat on it?!?! My first thought was this was crazy. But I took it out, we hooked it up to an extra battery, and he put it in the shop vise and took a hammer and gave it a few good wacks....sure enough it started working again, and has worked ever since (about 2 years). He explained that sometimes moisture from the road gets into the horn and causes it to "lock up".

Try it! :D

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Well thanks for all the tips guys! I put them all to good use!

It turns out that two of the three horns I replaced are dunzzo.

I unplugged the horn that was working, and tried your headlight trick, Warren. There was no dimming, so I Removed the three horns (two from behind the grill, and one down in the bumper. I tried each of them indepentently with juice from the battery, and only got one going (the High "c" note...that will knock your socks off when it chirps in your face! LOL :blink: ).

The other two, I tried them in the vice, like you suggested Dave, and gave them a "little lossening up" with a hammer.

Neither of these ones I could get going, and when I shake them, they sound disintegated inside (like shakers).

I guess I'll just go look for some more "d" and "F" horns, wether I can find some at a scrapper, or get them from the ~sigh~ Stealership.

Thanks for your help, the horn sounds 1/4 better now!

post-3-1117686347_thumb.jpg

Scott

It turns out that two of the three horns I replaced are dunzzo.

"Dunzzo" ?!?

G*d, I love that technical talk! :D:D:D

Nice pix BTW.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

STS Scott,

I really enjoy coincidences, even though I don't attach any real significance to them.

Did you note we both share the same "Joined:" date?

Oh well . . . .

Warren :huh:

Posted Image

STS Scott,

I really enjoy coincidences, even though I don't attach any real significance to them.

Did you note we both share the same "Joined:" date?

Oh well . . . .

Warren :huh:

LOL

Yes, and I can think of another...

We both drive the some of the coolest cars on the road!

(hey, we ALL have something in common! :D )

Scott

Also...

I'm going to try to repair the horns. I have nothing to loose really, because I would lust be throwing them in the trash.

My Dad said they used to take them appart, and give the internals a good cleaning and going-over, then they were good as new.

By the sounds of it, the "internals" of the 2 horns sound like disintegrated matter, but I guess there is only one way to find out!

Scott

I'm going to try to repair the horns. I have nothing to loose really, because I would lust be throwing them in the trash.

Horns that have fly$hit rolling around inside them aren't likely amenable to repair, but it might be interesting to find out how you make out.

As far as the *Stealership* is concerned, there are less pricey alternatives. Check out:

http://www.rockauto.com

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

http://www.gmotors.com

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived