CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Best muffler for N*??

I need a muffler that sounds mean under WOT but will have a nice rumble and lope sounds at idle...

I think your cams are going to give you that lope you want at idle...you need a lopey cam to get a lopey idle. No matter what you put behind a stock NS, it'll still sound smooth, especially at idle. Of course, yours won't be stock, but the cams will have to be pretty aggressive to give you the lope.

I always like either Borlas or Edelbrocks. They're both pricey, but I think they're worth it. I bet the Borlas will be loudest.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Here's a video/sound sample of Sprucegoose's Dynomax super turbos. http://home.twcny.rr.com/mystufff/Caddy/Sp...exhaust_WOT.MPG

And here's the link to his post with part numbers and specs. http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...2139&hl=muffler

In my opinion this setup sounds the meanest all around.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

In my opinion this setup sounds the meanest all around.

Thanks Kger2, you are too kind! :P:lol:

I have to admit, I still love the sound of my N* more than any other I have heard myself. Took her out for what may be the last joyride tonight as I seem to have a sellers market right now. Two very interested parties are looking at the Goose. The last guy tonight just grinned ear to ear when I started her up. He said "man, does that sound mean!" ;)

I had to disable the traction control and give her the wick one more time, and boy does that sound sweet! I was near the area where I took that video, and I'll bet the neighbors were wondering what the &*#@ all the commotion was down there! B) Sure wish I could get down to the strip for a few more runs, but it's a busy week...

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I can vouch for sprucegoose's choice in mufflers...

I am running Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, 2.5" in, 2.5" out, pipe diameter increase begins at the Y-split, and I had the resonator eliminated and replaced with a straight pipe of the same diameter as the inlet/outlet.

This is the first car I have had this modification performed on, it's my second Northstar powered Seville, and all I have to say is that it just sounds and feels like a totally different vehicle under acceleration and the idle hums at a nice low rumble.

I drove my father's 2003 STS last week and told him it was "too reserved"

I am running Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, 2.5" in, 2.5" out, pipe diameter increase begins at the Y-split, and I had the resonator eliminated and replaced with a straight pipe of the same diameter as the inlet/outlet.

This is the first car I have had this modification performed on, it's my second Northstar powered Seville, and all I have to say is that it just sounds and feels like a totally different vehicle under acceleration and the idle hums at a nice low rumble.

ero1220,

Are your 2.5" Dyno's the 14" long sport models? That's what mine are, and I know they are a bit louder (and should be) than the 20" long case model. I put a new high-flow cat con on mine also (just 5 days before the crash!) That brought it up a few decibles too I'm sure.

CustomGTP,

Nice work on the project, looking good. ;) Can't wait to hear the final results. Those tires/rims look awesome on there and keep it looking Pontiac! B) Should help you keep that power to the pavement. Definitely let me know when it is finished, I'd love to come to West Allis to check it out!

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I have the sport model of the Super Turbo's.

I had the setup only from the Y-pipe for about 6 months, then had the resonator taken out... I didn't think it would be a very significant difference, but man was I wrong, whole new sound once again.

I am running the stock cat.

I picked up a set of Dynomax Super Turbos today gents...

I'll keep ya posted on how it sounds in a few days

Fantastic! I have a feeling you are going to really dig that sound. B) I know they are going to be on my short list for my Firebird project as well.

You'll have to get us a sound clip to get our blood pumping! I really am anxious to hear what that'll sound like with your header and cam configuration. ;) Why aren't you running it all the way out back? One thing you will certainly notice is the reverb and loudness inside the car without it being behind the rear bumper. Mine was significantly louder before I got my tips welded on. I think it had that booming effect against the trunk like a big set of subs! :blink:

Do you have to run cat converters and pass emissions with a hybred beast like yours? I always wondered that... I think there is some sort of special waiver if you get a Hobbyist license plate in WI anyway. :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Yeah I have a 03 deville about to do the dynomax muffler change 17733 but i was going to leave the resonator in place because it being a deville i dont want it as loud as my 99 seville was but the seville sounded or-some!!!!! but had a lot of interior noise which is what i really dont want this time around is there a big difference? or is it quiet like close to OEM setup. I seen the post about the summit mufflers but you would probably get the same effect if you just removed the resonator and use stock mufflers?????????

ero1220,

Are your 2.5" Dyno's the 14" long sport models? That's what mine are, and I know they are a bit louder (and should be) than the 20" long case model. I put a new high-flow cat con on mine also (just 5 days before the crash!) That brought it up a few decibles too I'm sure.

CustomGTP,

Nice work on the project, looking good. ;) Can't wait to hear the final results. Those tires/rims look awesome on there and keep it looking Pontiac! B) Should help you keep that power to the pavement. Definitely let me know when it is finished, I'd love to come to West Allis to check it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Just last week, I had Meineke install a pair of Dynomax S/Ts - I bought the stock 20" universal replacement size - 2", offset in, center out, from Summit for $48 bucks each, free shipping. Meineke welded my stock tips right back on, the whole process took 40 minutes.

At idle, it's actually a bit quieter than the stock system was, but at a lower, deeper tone. Up through the RPMS, it seems maybe 10% louder than the stock system was, again with a lower, deeper rumble, which is all I was looking for.

Above 3000 rpm or so, the engine actually drowns out the muffler, at least from inside the car.

At cruising speeds you hardly notice the difference inside.

However, doing the "get out of my way you mud-turtle" thing, when you find yourself stuck behind a 1987 Citation doing 32 in a 50 zone, is another thing entirely. The S/Ts light up and roar really nicely, which also tends to wake the other driver up out of his/her slumber... :lol:

Total cost to me - $198 and change.... totally satisfied.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

I am about to order the Dynomax s/t from Summit, and I measured the mufflers on the Eldo, and the case is 20" and the pipes are 2".

Is this the correct "bolt-on" muffler size?

I notice that the 17731 and 17733 are the 14" case...are you guys all using custom tips and/or install?

JimHare, your setup seems to be the drop-in, which is what I was looking to do. I really dont think upgrading the pipe size at the Y will give any significant gain.

Also, is the interior alot louder with the resonator removed? With the 20" mufflers and removed resonator, will it be "crazy" loud or "cool" loud?

Sorry for rambling, but just want to make sure I order the right stuff from Summit. Thanks for everyones help!

I am about to order the Dynomax s/t from Summit, and I measured the mufflers on the Eldo, and the case is 20" and the pipes are 2".

Is this the correct "bolt-on" muffler size?

I notice that the 17731 and 17733 are the 14" case...are you guys all using custom tips and/or install?

JimHare, your setup seems to be the drop-in, which is what I was looking to do. I really dont think upgrading the pipe size at the Y will give any significant gain.

Also, is the interior alot louder with the resonator removed? With the 20" mufflers and removed resonator, will it be "crazy" loud or "cool" loud?

Sorry for rambling, but just want to make sure I order the right stuff from Summit. Thanks for everyones help!

The 17746 that I got just slip right in - the Meineke guy could have done it with one eye closed (not that I would have recommended it...)

Can't give you an answer re: resonator, didn't mess with anything north of the Y pipe.

With our 20" mufflers, if you get a 14" replacement, there has to be an extension fabbed up to connect the inlet to the Y-pipe splits, I suppose, either welded or clamped. The 14s would be a bit louder.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

Archived