CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Spur of the moment vehicle purchase?

maydog

I have been looking at updating my ride for a while now as I have been getting irritated with the various small repairs with my STS. This week the car has been treating me pretty good, I think I got all the bugs out.

Anyway I have been browsing Ebay for vehicles and spotted an SLS that seemed to be getting little activity. I was assuming that the lack of activity is due to the sellers inability to properly present (photograph and describe a vehile) anyway I made a few bids and ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

What do you think? Did I goof or is this a good deal?

I am planning a trip to go get the new wheels soon. I need to be in Chicago on Friday, so if I fly to Ohio and pick up the car I am just driving the same distance in a different direction.

By the way...

I may soon be offering up my 97 STS for sale. Here are the Vitals...

168000 miles

Engine replaced at 166000 with a 67000 mile unit

Passive front struts

New Catalytic Converter

New Mufflers

Drawtite hitch (used for a bike rack)

12 Disc Changer, bose audio

Onstar - cellphone based

New Alternator

New Starter

Fuel rail recall performed

New front rotors

Runs great

Here are the disclosures

Slight Coolant leak, I think it may be the upper radiator hose

Tires are worn

Rear cat o2 sensor shot - I am bidding on an ebay unit

Power antenna non functional

Driver seat worn leather

Driver door panel screwed into door - I could have made this look better

Some minor body damage, rear bumper cover cracked, large scratch in rear passenger side

Worn steering wheel and shifter knob

Aftermarket starter installed - but remote is lost

The car looks great for a vehicle with so many miles (this is true for most caddies). It runs strong and I have been pretty meticulous with the maintenance. Many components have been replaced - there is a lot of new car in this old one.

I am trying to convince my wife to let go of the Aurora and take the new SLS for her driving pleasure. Right now she will have none of it. If I decide to sell the car I am looking to get $3500, do you think this is a fair price?

Price-wise I think you did fine. However, my experience has been that between 75K - 125K most cars seem to need a lot of little things and sometimes a few big repair jobs done. So... I would just be concerned that you may soon be putting the same time and money into this car that you have already put into your 97 STS.

On the other hand... you've basically upgraded yourself by 3 years and reduced your mileage by about half. So that seems pretty good.

I guess the worst case scenario is you may still have repairs to deal with but you had that going on anyway in your 97 STS. The best case would be that you have a newer car and maybe you'll get 15K or more (ie: at least a year) of trouble free miles out of it. Not too bad for a net cost of about $4,500 assuming you sell your 97 for $3,500.

And, another minor incentive... with gas prices what they are today... over the course of a year you might save yourself a couple hundred dollars just in gasoline since now you'll be able to buy regular unleaded.

Hope it works out well for you!!!

That's a beautiful vehicle and the price was right! I just saw a black/black '99 Eldo on ebay that was simply georgeous. It had seven spoke chrome wheels and pinstripe whitewalls that really set the car off. But wudda I know; whitewall-wise I'm an old fart.

My only misgiving is that black vehicles only look good for about 2 hours after they've been cleaned/waxed. :D And then there's white vehicles . . . . :blink:

I hear what you're saying about impulse buying: I was on the cookie aisle today and I walked away with a bag of Chips Ahoy! White Fudge Chunky (New!). 'Course my bank account didn't take the hit that your's did. :D:D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

And, another minor incentive... with gas prices what they are today... over the course of a year you might save yourself a couple hundred dollars just in gasoline since now you'll be able to buy regular unleaded.

I like that reasoning. Combine that with the better mileage an SLS gets vs. an STS (especially on the road), and you stand to save some bucks every month at the pumps.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Good God that sold cheap! Under $8 Grand for a Black/Black 2000 SLS?! Is that what these have come to? My gosh. Seems like yesterday I drove my Black/Black 2000 STS off the dealer's lot with a $53k window sticker. Granted, that car (and lifestyle) are long gone, but I can't believe that nearly the same car can now be had under $8000.

Congratulations on your score - enjoy it.

cheers,

~Doc

post-3-1117463987_thumb.jpg

Granted, that car (and lifestyle) are long gone...

That lifestyle long gone? What do Hummer H1s count for nowadays? ;)

:o I'm with Jason.

Doc's Hummer doesn't look like its parked in front of a double wide .... nice ride parked in a nice neighbourhood :D

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Just my 2 cents... I think you got a good deal!

I have my 97 STS for sale: I am asking $9500. It's got 80,000 miles on it. I'm the 3rd owner, Florida car until sept 04. New 255-55-16 tires, new wires, plugs, K&N filter with airbox mods, Dynomax super turbo's, trunk disc changer, etc. It's super clean and needs nothing... I think I'm in the ballpark on price, so that's my basis for thinking that you got a good deal!

Granted, that car (and lifestyle) are long gone...

That lifestyle long gone? What do Hummer H1s count for nowadays? ;)

Thanks for the smile, guys. Actually the Hummer was sold in early April. Nice guy, nice deal. That was alot of fun. Having a hard time saying this out loud but I bought my first 'foreign' car in my life - only for a flip of course. Black/Black CL500 with the 'pimp' wheels. I can see how people like these cars, the ride and smoothness (of power) are definitely 'different'. But I have to say that 'regular' people just do not like these cars. I get attitude from guys in pick-up trucks like I've never experienced before, and I've been driving extra 'good' in this car. I've always been a staunchly 'domestic' car owner/driver but have to concede my curiousity in these. This one came along at a great buy so I took the opportunity, though I must confess that after being on the market now for 3 weeks (with not a single bite) - I'm 'concerned'. It will sell though. After this, my 'second' car will probably be classic - I'm thinking maybe a '71 Coupe Deville. We'll see.

As for the house, I've been divorced about 2 years now and the ex has it. I live in a small apartment by the beach - not that I'm complaining :)

cheers,

~Doc

...  I live in a small apartment by the beach - not that I'm complaining :)

cheers,

~Doc

Doc,

As long as you're not living under the boardwalk,

we love to hear your experiences, suggestions, and sales!

Thanks, Doc

But I have to say that 'regular' people just do not like these cars. I get attitude from guys in pick-up trucks like I've never experienced before, and I've been driving extra 'good' in this car.

I stay away from German cars, in general. Drivers of those cars think they own the road, and don't care to use their turn signals or even acknowledge the rest of us "plebians". They motor ignorantly along, with their tunes playing and the cell phone to their ears. It's unfair for me to classify all drivers of German cars as arrogant drivers, because a precious few aren't, but all stereotypes come from somewhere... ;)

if it doesnt need shocks the ac works and brakes are great i think this is a good buy ibought my concours last year for 5800 w 77000 but needed the above mentioned repairs about 1500 out of pocket

Thanks for the thoughts, I am to fly into Ohio on thursday to pick it up. The long trip back will give me a good idea of what work needs to be done... My family members think I am crazy.

I know this is straying off-topic, about German cars, but there are a few around here that I think are really funny. There's a gold 325 convertible running around with M3 badges all over it. It ain't an M3. There's also a jet black Mercedes S-class with his chromes and his vogues with V12 symbols on the rear sail panels. Looks real enough, except that he forgot to change the "400SEL" badges on the rear. I ain't never seen a 4 liter V12 engine from Mercedes! :lol: I swear the next time I see that car with the guy in a parking lot, I'm going to act impressed and ask to see the engine. :lol:

Here is an update...

I flew to Ohio last Thursday and was picked up at the airport by the sellers husband. We drove back to their home 30-40 minutes away. He was a real nice fellow and I was not nervous a bit.

Upon arriving to their house, I spotted the caddy and gave it the once over. The interior was clean; there were no cuts, tears, wear marks on the upholstry and nothing appeared broken. The body was straight and the finish was good. A few dings and scratches were scattered across the body. The car was in beautiful shape. I started it up and it ran nicely.

I drove it 350 miles to Chicago that night. I noticed a vibration on at highway speeds, it was not terrible - I felt it through the steering wheel and gas pedal. In all it drove very nice.

Sunday, I drove it from Chicago to Minnesota with my wife and child. The vibration was more noticeable - especially uphills.

Anyway, its is in my driveway now. I had the tires road forced balanced which seemed to correct most of the vibration. I also notice that the idle is a bit skippy and that there is some delay/jerk when accelerating from a stop or shifting between drive and reverse - i checked the CV joints, they seem ok but there is a few degrees of play in rotation from the trans case.

I plan on cleaning the egr valve and throttle body to see if I can smooth out the idle.

Could the differential be causing the thunk / play in the wheels?

I also notice that the idle is a bit skippy and that there is some delay/jerk when accelerating from a stop or shifting between drive and reverse

Check the front engine mount. From what's been posted here, it could be a constributing factor to the highway vibration as well as the movement/lash you're sensing when there's a sudden change in driveline torque.

I used one jack near the driver wheel to get the car up. The second was used to jack up the engine and trans, I used the metal "bridge" between the trans and engine as a jackpoint. There was not a lot of room to manuver. When I actually replace the mount I will jack up both sides and use jackstands.

Motormount 1

Here is a photo of the mount, at first I thought it looked ok. After I jacked it up and used the mirror I could see where the separation occurrs.

Motormount 2

Even with the shot mount, the ride quality is great. A lot of improvements in this car over the 97. One look into the clean engine bay proves that.

• 3 weeks later...

Update,

I cchange the motormount out a few weeks ago now. There is less bump going between forward and reverse, but there is still more play in the axle than the 97 STS or the aurora. I guess that is normal.

The car stalled on be today at a stoplight and gave me a 0335 PCM code. Is it time to get a new crankshaft sensor? How hard is it to replace?

I am also attempting to replace the cabin air filter, I got the old cruddy one out. But broke the replacement one trying to put it in. I notice that the replacement is much lower quality than the one i pulled out. The original has the filter webbing embedded into the plastic frame, the new filter has the webbing glued to the fram which has come undone.

I guess I will be buying a delco filter.

Archived