CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Shift

JACK

Driving My Wife's 96 ETC On Freeway When Trans Shifted From Fourth Down To Third Gear, Will Not Shift Into Fourth, Works As Per Normal Up to Third Gear. Jason Gave Me Information On How To Program Temperature Reading On DIC. Don't Know If I could Have Done Anything To Cause This Problem While Reprogramming DIC. Don't Think So But Thought I'd Mention It Just In Case. Thank You For Any Information And If You Should Suggest That I Scan For Trans Codes, Please Explain. Thanks Again For Any News-Good Or Bad.

Usually to check the codes turn the key on, engine off, press and hold the "off" and "warmer" buttons on the climate control panel. Codes will be displayed in the message center. When "PCM?" comes up the diagnostics are done. There are 2 kinds of codes "current" and "history". "Current means they are occurring now, history means that it has occurred but not right now. Pay more attention to current codes. Turn key off to go back to normal. You will probably find that you need to change your Shift solenoids.

I see Ranger just beat me to the post.

Scanned For Codes, No Codes Present At This Time. Only History Codes Present, None Related To Trans. Ant Other Tips Would Be Appreciated. Hate To Go To Tranny Shop, All They Want To Do Is Pull And Rebuild.

If There Aren't Any Codes Could The Problem Still Be Shift Solenoids. By The Way Third Gear Is Also Gone Now.

Sounds like the shift solenoids. They are under the bottom pan of the tranny. Easy fix. Lots of info in the archives. At the dealer it is about $250-$350, local REPUTABLE tranny shop $150 to $300. Solenoids are sold in a kit for about $50-$60. Beware of shops that just want to rebuild whole tranny instead of changing solenoids. Good Luck.

I do not know if OBDII has a code for the shift solenoids. I could not find it on my OBDII list.

Archived