CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Syphoning ATF out of 4T60-E

adallak

I believe that it will

Thanks Mike.

I replaced the filter and ATF last weekend. The fluide was not dark, it was rather discoloured (kind of brownish and pale compared to fresh pink bright Dexron III).

There was a thin film of metal dust on the bootom of the pan. I believe I made some 44 kmiles between ATF/filter changes. Is that metall dust normal?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I believe that the sediment that you see is a normal process, its should have been heavy around the magnet attached to the pan. Why do you want to siphon out the fluid? Future maintenance?

I believe that the sediment that you see is a normal process, its should have been heavy around the magnet attached to the pan. Why do you want to siphon out the fluid? Future maintenance?

Yes, as the tranny gets older the fluide changes the colour faster. I think next time I'll just syphone it instead of removing the pan and replacing the filter.

I siphon 3 quarts once a year using a hand pump I bought at Sears. Same pump is available at KMart and Pep Boys. Get the one with the skinny adapter tube so it will fit down the filler tube. Prox $10.

Thanks. It looks like the tube does not go all the way to the bottom of the pan. Otherwise you would get 6QTS.

I think with the 4T-60 trans, you need to change the fluid cold in order to get the most amount of fluid out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Wasn't there some discussion about just disconnecting one of the trans lines from the radiator and letting the vehicle pump itself dry? Diverting the fluid into a container of course.

Kent

Bbobynski said the line can be disconnected but the dirty fluid must be replace with new fluid at the same time. As the old fluid is being pumped out simply pour new fluid in the filler at the same time. You don't want to drain the transmission dry while the engine is running.

I found bbobynski's post about draining the trans through the cooling line (it's on the second page):

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2728&hl

It looks like I was not accurate in saying that new fluid needs to be added as the old is pumped out. I looks like it can be pumped out then added afterwards as long as the car remains in "park."

Just thought I would add that the transaxle fluid sending pipe is connected to the radiator next to the bottom hose on the driver's side. The return pipe is the one at top. This is according to The 94 GM Service Manual, p. 7A2-10. Thus, I would think that by disconnecting the bottom pipe and placing it in a suitable container would be the way to drain the system of fluid. Once the pipe is disconnected, start the car and idle it in “park” and let the fluid pump out into the container.

Archived