CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Shampoo; Yea or Nay?

The engine compartment of my deVille is getting mucked up with dust etc. sticking to all kinds of stuff. Generally just not looking as clean and buffed as it did last year.

There's houses (about 1500) being built behind us in the former corn field and the wind picks up the dust and finds it's way into everything. :angry:

So, the question: Should I hose down the engine compartment?... lots of electrical gizmos in there and most of it beyond my comprehension. :o

What if I disconnected the battery first? <_<

Should I use some kind of solvent (engine degreaser or ?) or just soap and water?

Is this a good idea at all? :unsure:

All ideas are really appreciated...

Thanks,

Mike P

P.S. My kids told me to "start using the smilies, DAD!" :)

I've cleaned mine several times with little or no ill effects. The only problem is one time I got a battery no charge message but it lasted for about 30 seconds and went away. Avoid dousing the coil packs. The spark plug wires don't seal the plug wells real good so you may need to blow out any water that gets in there if you have a bad misfire. Just start it up afterwards and get it good and hot to evaporate any water left on it. Spray it with some soap or degreaser if it's really greasy and you don't have access to high pressure sprayer.

I just did mine last weekend. Went to a do-it-yourself place and used the "engine cleaner" setting and then used the low pressure "spotless" rinse. Looks great! Stay away from the high pressure wash. No telling where you are blasting water into.

I prefer the manual style. Get some old towels you would probably be throwing away anyway, wet them down, and wipe stuff down. Obviously, I cant reach everything... but the last thing I want to spend time on is chasing down an electrical gremlin I created.

You can get a bottle of engine shampoo, and spray it down when it is warm-NOT HOT NOT COLD. Wait 10 minutes and rinse it off with water. I always use the car wash, I just make sure not to blast electrical stuff. You can spray everything, just don't pull the handle on the sprayer if you are not sure. You will not hurt anything. In fact if your engine is really gunked up, you will notice it will cool faster.

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived