CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Pressure Regulator for 97 STS?

I ordered some parts last week from AutoZone. I received AC Delco 41-950 spark plugs and a FPR.

The spark plugs were OK, replaced Bosch Platnium pulgs, car runs much better now. Never ran right with the Bosch Platnium. They only lasted a year or so. Gapped them at .06 Is this correct?

The FPR was not the right thing or I could not locate the old part. I found what I think is the FPR on the new steel fuel rail. at the beginning of the fuel rail near piston #7 there was a part held into the fuel rail by a big U clip with a vacuum line running to the top of it. Is this the FPR? The unit I received from Autozone is about the size of a "C size" battery and has two hose connections and one adjustment screw. I pulled the vacuum tube off the old part and no fuel came out. I am going to assume that the FPR is ok then. Am I looking at the right part, or is the FPR located somewhere else?

you should only be verifying the .050 gap and make correction as required. :D

I changed the gap to .06 because of a couple of messages on this board all said .06. I guess I will have to pull them all and reset the gap to .05. Could find nothing in my owners manual. Man that stinks.

It sounds like you have found the FRP here is a photo of mine, its in the upper left hand corner of this photo

That is what I have, but not what was sent to me by Autozone. I will send the new part back for credit.

I have to replace my FPR. I bought one at gmpartsdirect.com last month. When I took the cover off I could see that the FPR did not have a vacuum hose connected to it. Is there something wrong--shouldn't there be a vacuum hose connected to my FPR? Unfortunately, GM Service Manual does not say much on the topic.

I have to replace my FPR. I bought one at gmpartsdirect.com last month. When I took the cover off I could see that the FPR did not have a vacuum hose connected to it. Is there something wrong--shouldn't there be a vacuum hose connected to my FPR? Unfortunately, GM Service Manual does not say much on the topic.

The '93/'94 Northstars had the FPR under the intake - that area is exposed to engine vacuum so there is no need for a hose to be connected to the FPR.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The '93/'94 Northstars had the FPR under the intake - that area is exposed to engine vacuum so there is no need for a hose to be connected to the FPR.

KHE, Thanks for answering my question.

I pulled the vacuum tube off the old part and no fuel came out. I am going to assume that the FPR is ok then. Am I looking at the right part, or is the FPR located somewhere else?

Was the car running or the system pressurized when you pulled the vacuum hose off? If I remember right, you should check it while the engine is running or just turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system.

OK, now I am really confused. I was almost done with re-gapping my plugs when I looked up and saw the emissions sticker under the hood. The sticker said that I should have a .060 gap! The manual also said I should be using a 41-900 spark plug. Did they update the part number for the spark plug to 41-950? Did they revise the gap? What gives????? :blink:

The original plugs were 41-900's but have been upgraded to 41-950's. I would suspect the gap has been revised as well. Just recently while trouble shooting a misfire I searched through my '97 manual to find the gap to no avail. When I checked the manual for my daughters '99 it was listed as .050.

I searched through my '97 manual to find the gap to no avail.

It was not in my manual, but under the hood. When you raise the hood, look up and you will see an emissions sticker. It has the gap listed as .060.

Just went and looked. Nothing on mine but my wifes Bonneville 3800 has it and it calls for .060 gap. Wonder why the Northstar went to .050? Still befuddles me as to why it is not in the service manual.

Archived