CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

misfire

Ranger

This afternoon when I started the car to go to work I had a pretty bad misfire. Not long after I got the flashing SES light. Pulled the codes and found P0300 History (misfire). It settled down after about a mile. After reading this post http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6092&st=0 the other day, I guess I will have to pull and clean the dielectric grease off all the plugs and wires tomorrow (they are only a few months old).

I pulled the plugs today and wiped out the plug wires. Wanted to check the plugs gaps and spent :30 min. looking for the specs in the service manual :angry: Never did find it. Looked in my daughters '99 manual and found it in 30 seconds. Who ever wrote that manual should be whipped.

It would be pretty hard to determin which cylinder it is because it doesn't last long. We went out for dinner tonight and it ran pretty rough when I started it but smoothed out within a minute. It's starting to piss me off.

It can be tough to find things in the shop manual. :lol: Usually the plug gap is on the emissions label under the hood.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It can be tough to find things in the shop manual. :lol: Usually the plug gap is on the emissions label under the hood.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ranger,

Do a search under my name for some helpful tips.

Good Luck  :rolleyes:

I did a search and I assume you are talking about using a stethescope to listen for arcing. I'll try that next time it misfires. Started it up this morning and it was smooth as glass.

I just got a physical at work and was able to sweet talk the physicians Assistant into getting me a stethescope. Apparently one fell off a truck :rolleyes: . I replaced the listening device on the end with a copper tube and a rubber tip on the end of it with a hole in it. WOW, it is amazing the things you can hear going on inside your engine with that thing. It would make a faulty fuel injector easy to diagnose as you can hear the injectors clicking as they open and close. It should make easy work of an arcing coil. Thanks for the tip.

Ranger,

I also had a problem with a brand new spark plug. You may want to do a resistance check on each of your spark plugs. Depending on whether you have a DVM or an analog meter, you should get readings greater than a megohm (on DVM) or no reading (on an analog meter). My brand new spark plug measured 7000 ohms. Now I know your thinking I didn't change the plugs, spark plugs can go bad over time. Just something to think about.

Chuck :)

Thanks Chuck. It is rather intermitent. Only happens occasioanally at start up and does not last long so I don't suspect plugs, but I'll keep it in mind if I can't nail it down.

When the check engine lamp is flashing....thats a pretty bad misfire.

Its the computer warning you the its bad enough to damage the cat con...

Could be .......

plug

wire

coil

module

Even saw one the other day....car was a flood car and sat for a year. The sepentine belt had set up and was dancing all over.....causing PO300.

How about using the DIC to do a "snapshot?"

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

When the check engine lamp is flashing....thats a pretty bad misfire.

Its the computer warning you the its bad enough to damage the cat con...

Could be .......

plug

wire

coil

module

Even saw one the other day....car was a flood car and sat for a year. The sepentine belt had set up and was dancing all over.....causing PO300.

Yeah Logan. It was flashing that morning and was a pretty bad misfire but only lasted a minute or so. The next morning it felt like a slight misfire with no light at all and also went awy very shortly thereafter. Yesterday morning it was perfectly smooth. I think she's just toying with me. Like I said, plugs and wires are new (A/C Delco). Guess I'll have to keep the stethescope handy next time I start it.

Ranger,

Did you notice a corellation between misfire and humidity (rainy day)? One of wires could leak high voltage when it is humid and stop leaking as soon as engine heats up.

Just a suggestion...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Am I correct in assuming that the miss only occures in open loop? If that is the case then whatever the miss is, it is picked up by the computer and adjusted out. So I would expect to find a lean Fuel air mixture. Saying this I would expect a injector,iac,or maf in that order. Mike

Yes Mike, you are correct. It only happens occasionaly at startup (maybe 2 or 3 times so far) and only lasts for a minute or so. Only once was bad enough to trip the SES light.

I never did find that emisions label until today. It is cleverly hidden, literally under the hood behind the grill <_ it shows the plug gap at .060 but car came with my daughters manual .050. i guess changed plugs.>

Archived