CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Caddy in movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"??

hello! My name is Lila, 21, female. I just bought my first car, a 1972 Eldorado Convertible. I love it!

I wanted some experts opinions on a few things, as I am a caddy lover but not very well educated about them yet.

I wanted the same car driven in the movie Fear and Loathing, "the White Whale". here is a photo-still from the movie:

f411813d.jpg

I heard in the script this car is called a Coupe Deville. the year the movie was set is 1971, and they rent this car off a lot in vegas, so i assume it is a 71 or 72.

here is the car i just bought, 1972 eldorado:

f41b2ca2.jpg

f41b2caa.jpg

f41b2cb1.jpg

so, what are the possibilities they are both el dorados? does anyone know the similarities and differences between both? both the body and the internal specs?

any info, trivia, specs that you guys could tell me will be exciting. i'd love to drive the exact car in the movie but i couldnt be happier with my purchase.

thanks! Lila

All of the photos you posted are Eldorados. The Coupe/Sedan DeVille was a rear wheel drive car while the Eldorado was a front wheel drive car.

The Deville had a convertable as well but I think the last year for that car was 1970. The Coupe DeVille remained in the Cadillac lineup but was not a convertable.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Those are Eldorado's but the one from the movie might be a 71. The 71 and 72 body style to me were the most attractive Eldos from that era. The grill was different, the script eldorado was above the cornering lights and I think the 71 had a chrome strip down the middle of the hood. Your's is obviously a 72 with the script Eldorado above the light..

I had a 74, which had a longer look to it, I like the air intake just behind the doors... Here is a site where you can learn a little about Cadillacs from all years, but your year in particular... Good Luck with it, I LOVED riding in that car with the top down! Mike

Here are specs and information:

Cadillac History

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/

1972 Cadillac

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad72.htm

1972 Cadillac Deville

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad72d.htm

1971 Cadillac Eldorado

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad71e.htm

1972 Cadillac Eldorado

http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad72e.htm

Here's mine

post-3-1116446158_thumb.jpg

:D  wonderful! thank you both so much! i love the yellow, very cool color.

Thanks, but it was a CAB :lol: , you could see it for blocks, it attracted WAY too much attention! I like your WHITE Eldo much better!

Congrats on the car, the only thing I can remember from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was Johnny Depp and the other co-star driving down the highway and Depp starts to hallucinate "the bats, the bats are coming." I still laugh at that and I saw that movie many years ago. Welcome to the board! Awesome to see young chicks dig Caddy's too. I'm also 21 :P , there's a link to my baby.

67 Coupe DeVille

Spence

You must keep the tires inflated to 100 psi and take LSD to get the full road handling effect of that fine automobile. Then call your Samoan lawyer. Great book. HST, too bad he had to check out. Will miss his observations.

Congrats on the car, the only thing I can remember from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was Johnny Depp and the other co-star driving down the highway and Depp starts to hallucinate "the bats, the bats are coming." I still laugh at that and I saw that movie many years ago. Welcome to the board! Awesome to see young chicks dig Caddy's too. I'm also 21 :P , there's a link to my baby.

67 Coupe DeVille

Spence

Hahaha! "Holy Jesus! What are these darn animals??" ... "We can't stop here, this is bat country."

I think I am going to enjoy this forum, thanks for the welcome! I actually am driving out to las vegas in 2 weeks for my 21st birthday and to celebrate the legacy of Dr. Gonzo. In fact I just watched the movie a few nights ago when I was still considering if I should buy the big beautiful thing.

true I'm a chick, but I've always loved big old caddies above any other type of car, probably because I was raised in Oakland where there seem to be an abundance of well loved classic cars and proud owners who show them off all around my hood. (I could never really enjoy being another girl in a Jetta, not my style) I've waited a super long time to get my first car and now I'm happy I did!

I gotta say you have a seriously cool Deville yourself! nice color ;)

gygmy~ have you read 'Hey Rube' yet? Another darn good HST work, amongst many.

That is one pretty Eldo. Reminds me of my '73. They ride like a magic carpet. You're gonna love it but those old 501's do get thirsty.

Oh boy; a 21st b'day party in the city that never sleeps. Now why didn't I think of that 30++ years ago?

Hope you plan to see the Blue Man Group and sit front row, center.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 11 years later...

I dream of the white on white Eldorado from Fear and Loathing. It will happen.

Harder and harder to find a legit white on white from the factory. I think a lot of them were white with red interior.

Archived