CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cracked Oil Filter Mount

Ed Hall

Someone probably over tightened one of the oil lines and it ended up cracking the oil filter mount that I have pictured below. I ended up buying another oil filter mount at the junkyard but the old one has an extra port. I’m confused on what size of tap I need. I already drilled and tapped with a size 12 - 1.5 tap but it was too small for the oil pressure sensor to screw down. Is a ½" pipe thread tap the right size tap? I do know that a ½" MIP fitting from Home Depot screws down the hole of the cracked oil filter mount perfectly. Is this tap on ebay the one I need?

Click Here to View Tap!!!

Oil_Filter_Mount.jpg

IPB Image

Personally I would get the correct oil filter adaptor..if I could, if you want me to try to help I have be truckload of junkyards on Long Island, Mike

Give me the specifics 1988 eldo, what engine? I love going to the junk yard, I need to thank them for Matt's engine anyway... Let me know

I think the lines have a straight fitting rather than a tapered pipe fitting. The ebay tap looks like a NPT tap (tapered).

I would find the correct oil filter adapter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Personally I would get the correct oil filter adaptor..if I could, if you want me to try to help I have be truckload of junkyards on Long Island, Mike

Give me the specifics 1988 eldo, what engine? I love going to the junk yard, I need to thank them for Matt's engine anyway... Let me know

Thanks for the replies. The cracked oil filter adapter is off of my 1987 4.1L Allante. It is probably very rare since very few of these cars were made and it looks like they took a standard adapter and hand tapped it to get this extra port. The only engine I haven't checked that might have this extra port is the 4.9 block.

IPB Image

Ed,

Do the oil lines have fittings that are like the A/C fittings? A washer face that is swaged on the tube (near the end) with a hex fitting on one side and an o-ring on the other? If so, those fittings are straight fittings, not tapered.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ed,

Do the oil lines have fittings that are like the A/C fittings? A washer face that is swaged on the tube (near the end) with a hex fitting on one side and an o-ring on the other? If so, those fittings are straight fittings, not tapered.

Yes, the oil lines are as you described but the port that I'm talking about is for an oil sensor that has tapered threads but fits into a hole that looks not tapered. Probably what I need is a 14 - 1.5 tap but I'm not sure.

IPB Image

I already drilled it out but don't have the right size of tap. I'm pretty sure it's a 1/4" NPT tap that I need since a 1/4" MIP fitting from Home Depot screwed right in . I tried calling a number of machine shops around but could not find anyone that wants to do it. With the right size of tap, it would only take about 2 minutes to do the job.

IPB Image

Archived