CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'92 Sevile Passkey Trouble

6gunn

My '92 Seville will not start, not a peep from the engine. The battery is fine, so that's not the cause.

The security light doesn't come on in the dash which lead me to think the problem was in the passkey module or the ignition.

I have the GM manual for the car, so going through the trouble shooting chart, I ended up testing the key value and then the value at the passkey module harness, I came up with a value of about 5.95 for both. According to the flow chart this leaves the passkey module as the cause of the non start.

I cleaned the as many of the grounds that I could find just to be sure it wasn't something simple. But still no start.

Has anyone changed one of these modules? And if so, how do you set the value in the module to match the existing ignition keys?

Is there a chance the starter enable relay can cause this trouble? I'm not sure of the location on this relay, still looking.

The manual for this car is great in some cases, in others like this one, it leaves a little to be desired. Or maybe it's just operator error. ;-)

I couldn't find much on passkey module replacement in a search of the archives, so I'm sorry if this subject covers old ground.

Thanks,

John

My '92 Seville will not start, not a peep from the engine. The battery is fine, so that's not the cause.

The security light doesn't come on in the dash which lead me to think the problem was in the passkey module or the ignition.

I have the GM manual for the car, so going through the trouble shooting chart, I ended up testing the key value and then the value at the passkey module harness, I came up with a value of about 5.95 for both. According to the flow chart this leaves the passkey module as the cause of the non start.

I cleaned the as many of the grounds that I could find just to be sure it wasn't something simple. But still no start.

Has anyone changed one of these modules? And if so, how do you set the value in the module to match the existing ignition keys?

Is there a chance the starter enable relay can cause this trouble? I'm not sure of the location on this relay, still looking.

The manual for this car is great in some cases, in others like this one, it leaves a little to be desired. Or maybe it's just operator error. ;-)

I couldn't find much on passkey module replacement in a search of the archives, so I'm sorry if this subject covers old ground.

Thanks,

John

A jumper sent from the battery positive to the starter solenoid's positive will bypass both starter enable and neutral safety switches.

Usually when something wrong with key or ignition lock (wires inside the latter are weak) you'll get a message on DIC "wait 3 min" o something. Putting an equivalent resistor in the circuit on car's side fools the copmputer and lets you to start the car.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The message bar that let's you know the status of the car's systems, is dark and doesn't come on.

The idiot light for the brakes goes on when you turn the key in the ignition to the start position, then off again when you release the key. Not sure if that means anything. Probably not.

Anyway, there is no way to get codes or gain access to the car's computer.

John

The message bar that let's you know the status of the car's systems, is dark and doesn't come on.

The idiot light for the brakes goes on when you turn the key in the ignition to the start position, then off again when you release the key. Not sure if that means anything. Probably not.

Anyway, there is no way to get codes or gain access to the car's computer.

John

Battery cables and connections, grounds.... looks like your problems are here and passkey module might be fine.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived