CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Boston Suspension Woes

WarrenJ

Friday I left my car in care of the trusted mechanic after having had the passive replacement struts from Boston Suspension shipped to him (along with the plug-ins to suppress the RSS nag from the DIC). It seemed like an ideal solution to my "clunking" front end noise problem.

However, the replacement had a double ended "flange" as you can see in the center of the photo. My guy said the original strut had only a single ended flange and that the second flange on the replacement strut would interfere with the brake line when the wheels were turned. Curiously, the only drawing of this strut section in the service manual I was able to find seems to show the double ended flange in place.

Now if I seem confused it's because I'm from an earlier generation where backyard mechanics hadn't yet seen "struts" on an American vehicle (giving away my age here, huh?). I wasn't under the car when the repair was attempted so I've little first hand knowledge of the installation difficulties.

SO: The question is, has anyone done this themselves such that they have first hand experience (and can give guidance) ? Do I call Dennis @ Boston Suspension and let him know the struts are on the way back?

On the bright side, one of the strut mounts was decrepit and both were replaced. The noise is somewhat reduced. 117K miles.

Regards,

Warren

post-3-1116193743_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Dennis from Boston sent me the right ones and the shop had no trouble on my '94 Deville. I would have thought Boston would know what fits what (since that is their specific business).

Is it possible the your car had non-standard struts installed earlier or brake line revisions?

I would send Dennis your post with a pic of you current strut flanges if possible.

Good Luck :(

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

TDK,

I've no reason to think the car is anything other than completely stock. Of course, I'm not the original owner.

Photos of the current struts are, unfortunately, out of the question as they remain in the vehicle.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

All of boston's struts are double ended like that, it is a one size fits all approach since the strut can be used on the right or left. I have not hear of any interfering with brake lines but I guess there is always the possibility.

You may want to look into arnott struts for your car. I do not think that they have the double flange.

You may want to look into arnott struts for your car. I do not think that they have the double flange.

I went for the Boston Suspension struts because they included the widgets to suppress the RSS nag on the DIC. Arnott equipment doesn't offer that convenience.

However, that's not a deal killer. As you well know, I can make my own widgets. :D

I'll see what I can find out about the Arnott units.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I have the boston struts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. How about using a cutting tool to cut that extra flange off?

Check your ball joint for the clunking noise that remains

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

UPDATE: I found a clearer drawing of the strut on page 5-17 of the factory service manual. The strut in figure 12 DEFINITELY has only a single ended flange. It also clearly shows the brake line placement (callout item #1) in the area occupied by the second unused flange of the Boston Suspension unit.

See callout item #3 in the drawing for the flange.

Regards,

Warren

post-3-1116247701_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

Yes I can see how that extra flange can be a problem and I am going to be PO'd if I have the same problem... I probably will cut that flange off with my dremel with cutting disks if its on mine. I will look later...

Early on sailors navigated by the stars at night and the North star became the symbol for finding ones way home. Once you know where the Northstar is you can point your ship in the right direction to get home. So the star became a symbol for finding ones way home or more symbolically even finding ones path in life.

I have the boston struts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. How about using a cutting tool to cut that extra flange off?

Mike,

The ball joints are solid. It's the struts, without question.

Obviously, my mechanic was concerned about voiding my warranty on the struts. Me, I'da cut 'em. :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I have the boston struts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed.  How about using a cutting tool to cut that extra flange off?

Mike,

The ball joints are solid. It's the struts, without question.

Obviously, my mechanic was concerned about voiding my warranty on the struts. Me, I'da cut 'em. :D

Regards,

Warren

Oh thats right you didnt install them only the mounts.....I forgot..

UPDATE 2:

Dennis @ Boston Suspension has been Johnny-on-the-spot communicating with me via email and phone. He says he's sold "thousands" of these struts without a problem. He even went so far as to say, "(paraphrasing) See if I care . . . . cut 'em . . . . it won't void your warranty." Of course, you'd best get that same permission before YOU cut 'em yours. :D

I put Dennis in touch with my mechanic. After they finish knocking heads, I'll let you know what happened.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Cool! Cut them! With the right tool it will be a cake walk..

Mike,

Yeah, the only problem is that my Mondays are full up for awhile.

You see, I'm off Sunday and Monday. Can't do diddly on Sunday . . . . only Monday is left. Lord only knows when this will finally get done!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

If you don't want to void your warranty, I'd suggest first getting a dispensation from Dennis. :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I looked at mine and they look just like yours with two ears..... I will be calling him to give me the green light to cut them off... I may try to rent an air cut off tool... Thanks

Archived