CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PCV System Leak

OynxSTS

Today, for fun, I pulled the top engine cover off of my N* to see if there were any issues with the injectors and/or wiring... My car will stall at the rate of about once a month... did it again yesterday... But it never stores any codes related to the stall.

So as I was snooping under the engine cover... in search of something obvious.

I noticed that the plastic hose that attaches to the "firewall" valve cover (aka the black one) had a "large" crack in the rubber "elbow" that connects it to the head... I taped it up with several wraps of black electrical tape and will get a new elbow at the dealer on Monday...

Could this PCV leak cause my "code-less" stalling?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

A stall at idle could be caused by a vacuum leak, but the leak would be large enough for you to hear it.

A stall off idle could be caused by a faulty crankshaft position sensor signal or a dirty electrical connector. My '98 has been randomly stalling for 14x,xxx miles!

You probably have coil-on-plug ignition, but if not; as an elimination step, you could R & R the four connectors on the coil pack several times to clean the connector contacts. Getting to the connectors on the crankshaft position sensors to do the same thing is a little more involved.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks for the tip I'll give that a try...

stalling for 140,000 something miles... Wow... I have only 90,000 Miles to go! :lol::lol:

caddy.jpg

Greg

Well, to put a perspective on the 14x,xxx miles and stalling; it has stalled fewer than 10 times total.

And since my bride no longer drives that car, the sudden loss of power steering assist is no longer a major problem! I can slip it into neutral, start the engine, and be on my way in less time than it takes to type it.....

Love your city, BTW. Fun place to visit.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

EGR was next on my list... I have cleaned the throttle body.

I used to have a 91 F150 with an EGR issue but that vehicle would run awful at idle… Mine runs great. You’ll be just stopped at a light or just pulling away... Almost always at idle or just off idle and it dies… Almost like someone turns off the key… Perhaps it’s a grounding issue…

I usually shift in to neutral really quick and re-start... Last time I was stopped in the driveway and without turning it off I pulled the codes… Nothing…

PS the rolling neutral “re-start” definitely brings back memories.. My first car was a total POS 1974 Dodge Dart… It too would stall at the drop of a hat…

caddy.jpg

Greg

I am also having an erratic stalling problem on a 94 Seville SLS. The car has 89K on it, and just stalls while driving with no warning. It will usually require 6 or 8 re-starts and them may straighten out. It does it a lot when the engine is cold.

It was stalling at idle a couple of years agon, and I took it to the dealer. They replaced the EGR valve, and did a de-carbon treatment, and it was fine up until a month ago. I don't get any codes from the computer, and when I called the dealer to ask about what it might be, they had no clue, but want to get the car in there to start throwing parts on it.

My local mechanic changed the fuel filter, but it didn't help.

It can be anything at this point... :(

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

Stalling + Hard Start = Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). Remove top engine "decorative" cover and pull the vacuum line from the... If gas is leaking out install a new AC Delco one...

caddy.jpg

Greg

'94 top cover is not decorative. DO NOT attempt to start the engine with the cover off. Just turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system and look for fuel leaking from the nipple on the FPR. There will be no vacuum hose since it is inside the manifold and exposed to manifold pressure. That said, I could be wrong but, I don't think a bad FPR would cause stalling. Hard hot starts, yes.

Archived