CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Driver side window- glass on metal noise

98 Eldo coupe... My driver side window has just started a glass on metal clanking sound when closing the door with the window anywhere partly down to all the way down. It is also loose and can be wiggled within the door especially the non hinge side of the door. This also reproduces the noise. I'm sure something came loose or maybe a guide sleeve or bushing if there are any. The window opens and closes ok with a hard clank sound upon engaging.

What should I look for? How to take off the door panel myself without damaging the posts. Steps by step please....thanks

My panel has been off several times by the dealer and when I bought the car it was loose and all broken posts were hot glued. Their repair fix. They have broken loose several times and had to be re-fixed. I read once there is a bulletin with a special door fastener kit. What exactly is this. If I have my panel removed again by me or the dealer I want it fixed on once and for all!

Door panel usually comes off easily, I think you can almost lift it up and out. You'll have to remove the screws behind the handle that opens the door from the inside. Look for anything loose or broken. Tighten loose items and test.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hmmm...my drivers side door make the same noise. I've also notice that even with it closed, after a while the glass starts to sink into the door, and I have to raise it back up jut a tiny bit, to keep it from rattling. I would prefer fixing it myself, over the dealer. I'll have to look in my service manual, and see what it says.

Eldorado door panel removal procedure for a '94 (I assume the procedure for a '98 is very similar):

1. Pull the door latch/lock bezel straight out to unsnap it.

2. Work a flat-bladed tool under the rear edge of the window/mirror control bezel. press (toward the front of the car) to unhook the retainer clip. Lift the rear of the bezel upward then pull toward the rear.

3. There is a hidden screw under the upper rear corner of the carpet panel that runs along the lower portion of the door panel. (I think your '98 has a map pocket in this area.) There is about about a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" carpeted flap that folds down at a 45 degree angle to expose the screw. I'm guessing your '98 has a similar arrangement. If you gently work a screwdriver under the upper rear corner, you should be able to lift the flap and expose the screw.

4. Inside the window/mirror control bezel hole (and, possibly inside the door latch/lock bezel hole) there are large phillips head screws that hold the door panel in place.

5. After removing the screws, simply lift the door panel upward and away from the door.

Broken hooks along the lower edge of the panel are very common with these cars. Many people simply don't realize you have to lift the panel and they pry the bottom edge outward until the hooks snap.

There are a number of fixes for broken hooks.

I've seen more than one case where great gnarly long sheet metal screws have been run through the lower edge of the panel and into the steel inner door skin. This works but it looks like hell.

Some of my broken hooks have steel strips pop-riveted or sheet metal screwed to the old hook stumps. The ends of the strips are bent over to form a new hook.

I've heard that Cadillac sells a (probably, very expensive) hook repair kit.

The left door panel on my Eldo has had every single hook broken off (by a previous owner). With all the screws in place, the bottom edge does not flop around noticeably, it doesn't rattle, and it is in a location where it doesn't get pulled at. I hate having loose, floppy trim on my cars but, in this case, I've decided it just isn't worth the effort to fix. I never even think about it except when I write a post on the subject.

Good luck!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Poobah thanks for the door panel removal steps, went exactly as you stated with the screw under the window up/down panel and the hidden screw at the top edge of the map flap (note in previous owner or dealer attempts the scratch marks here!!) Also noted that ALL hooks were hot-glued!! What I found was that this black star screw was loose. Just a tighten and the rattle/bang went away! I'm not sure what the adjustment of this plate does, it can slide upwards/downwards so I kind of set it where it was. See the attached photos. Very easy fix...Thanks!

98eldodoorpanel1fb.jpg

Also noted that ALL hooks were hot-glued!!

Broken lower door panel hooks are very common with these cars. Most people seem to think you just pry the lower door panel edges until they pop loose. Of course, what pops are the hooks!

Glad you repair went smoothly.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived