CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4.6L reassembly

jhall

Guys,

Here's some pic updates on the 4.6L '97 Deville rework (from a blown head gasket).

Manifolds are in place. Getting new mounts next week. Installed new transmission seals (main coverter and axles) and will remount trans next week.

post-3-1116110360_thumb.jpg

Nice pics! ;)

As I recall from you other posts, you reaaly tore into it . Perhaps more than most would have for a head gasket. :rolleyes:

Did you ever find anthing that would have prevent normal enaing operation? Compared to simply time-serting and reassembly...

Have you considered posting the pics an procedures to the how-to section?

Again, thanks for the pics and notes about this job. :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Did you ever find anthing that would have prevent normal enaing operation?

Nope. Head gasket failed at the #1 cylinder area. I found some pieces of the gasket in the head channel.

I was glad I pulled the engine out and tore it down. I found that the rear main seal was leaking a little, the valve cover gaskets were definately leaking (lower block was getting an ugly coating of crud build-up) and the axle seal on the driver's side was also leaking (changed both axle seals, the main coverter seal and the o-ring on the converter shaft). ;)

As far as posting a "how to" document, this should be no problem. I have many more pics than what I've posted. It would probably be better to have a separate spot in the forum for this info (like some of the special topic pages already posted)

I'll pull the info together once I get the beast back in the car (and running).

Archived