CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Back Brakes are worn, front brakes are fine.

Marika

I just took the car to the shop to have the oil changed and my tires switched over from winter to summer.

They said both back brakes are worn (evenly) and need to be replaced within the next 4,000 miles or so. But the front brakes are fine. What gives? I always thought that the front brakes wear out on front wheel drives?

Enlighten me someone.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Well while what you are saying is more or less true, if all brakes are doing their job the front should not wear out that much faster than the back.. Was a 4 wheel brake job done so that the back and front started off at the same time?

If you did a 4 wheel brake job and they started off at the same time, you might want to have them lubricate the brake cable where it contacts the guides, the rear may not be releasing 100%, Mike

Long time no see, how have you been?

Well while what you are saying is more or less true, if all brakes are doing their job the front should not wear out that much faster than the back.. Was a 4 wheel brake job done so that the back and front started off at the same time?

If you did a 4 wheel brake job and they started off at the same time, you might want to have them lubricate the brake cable where it contacts the guides, the rear may not be releasing 100%, Mike

Thanks for the info, Scotty.

I'm doing fine, working hard, having no fun...LOL!! :lol: And how have YOU been?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Well while what you are saying is more or less true, if all brakes are doing their job the front should not wear out that much faster than the back..  Was a 4 wheel brake job done so that the back and front started off at the same time?

Thanks for the info, Scotty.

I'm doing fine, working hard, having no fun...LOL!! :lol: And how have YOU been?

I also have been pedal to the metal (no PUN intended :lol: ), my business is finally starting to take off, thank God..

By the way, when I say the rear may not be releasing I mean the parking brake may not be releasing. They may be releasing at the pedal (thereby turning off the light) but may not actually be releasing at the rear brakes themselves.

You didnt say whether or not all four were done at the same time... Mike

Marika,

I agree with Mike. Fronts do 80% of the stopping. I don't think it makes any difference whether it is front or rear wheel drive. I would suspect also that they are hanging up via either the barking brake cable or the slide pins.

I just looked through my records and both back and front brakes were done at the same time in August, 2003, when I bought the car.

When I take the car back to have the rear brakes replaced, I guess I'll have to watch and see what they do.

I just looked through my records and both back and front brakes were done at the same time in August, 2003, when I bought the car.

When I take the car back to have the rear brakes replaced, I guess I'll have to watch and see what they do.

Now that would concern me a bit, its not normal for the rear to wear out faster as you noted.. Like Larry said, look for sliders to be hanging up or the brake cable to be not releasing 100%... Mike

Here is a photo of the front caliper with sliders it may not be identical to yours but its FYI.. If it appears to be your sliders hanging up, there may be a slider kit at the dealer that includes rubber bushings etc. I replace mine as a matter of course as I do my brakes..the two BLACK things below near the sliders that I circled are the rubber bushings on my car that I replaced on my front and if my rear has them I will replace them on the rear when I get in there..

post-3-1116089745_thumb.jpg

I would suspect also that they are hanging up via either the barking brake cable or the slide pins.

Now I know something is wrong! My brake cables don't bark? Yours bark? LOL!! :lol::lol:

I would suspect also that they are hanging up via either the barking brake cable or the slide pins.

Now I know something is wrong! My brake cables don't bark? Yours bark? LOL!! :lol::lol:

Larry's car is a real DOG! :lol:

Larry's car is a real DOG! :lol:

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Oh Scotty, you are soooooooooooo bad!! LOLOL :lol::lol:

Well it's no wonder you have a problem. You didn't mention that your brakes don't bark. :lol: Don't read what I say, read what I mean. ;)

Front brakes do about 80% of the braking, so front brakes will wear out about 2 to 1 to the back ones. (This is, like, major common knowledge to any entry level mechanic.) I think that the shop that did the complete brake job hoodwinked on the job, not doing the back ones, yet claiming that they did.

If the back brakes were hanging up, you'd know it. Under this condition, the rear end of the car would want to walk around, mening that the car would be squirrely when you hit the brakes.

At the aproximate 2 to 1 wear rate, the car is probally on its 3rd set of front pads, meaning this wear pattern is correct.

I would have someone check the proportioning valve and make sure it is working as intended, if I am correct it works by not engaging the fronts until the back pads have pressure on them.

If it was the caliper pins they wouldn't wear evenly at all, they would be a mess and unevenly worn.

Front brakes do about 80% of the braking, so front brakes will wear out about 2 to 1 to the back ones. (This is, like, major common knowledge to any entry level mechanic.) I think that the shop that did the complete brake job hoodwinked on the job, not doing the back ones, yet claiming that they did.

If the back brakes were hanging up, you'd know it. Under this condition, the rear end of the car would want to walk around, mening that the car would be squirrely when you hit the brakes.

At the aproximate 2 to 1 wear rate, the car is probally on its 3rd set of front pads, meaning this wear pattern is correct.

That's what I'm wondering about too. I've always know that on a front wheel drive, the front brakes do 80% of the work so why are the brakes like new on the front and worn down on the back, and evenly at that.

That's what I'm wondering about too. I've always know that on a front wheel drive, the front brakes do 80% of the work so why are the brakes like new on the front and worn down on the back, and evenly at that.

That is true for any car - FWD or RWD.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived