CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Broken surge tank

I've searched this site and haven't found anything about broken surge tanks, so, here's my story.

Mine is broken at 70k or so miles - is this reasonable?

98 ETC

Define broken... Leaking somewhere I suppose?

The surge tank is a heavy molded plastic with reinforcement webs - but still only plastic. It is pressurized - unlike the earlier overflow tanks

This would be something that I would not hesitate to repalce with a used unit.

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Reasonable? I'd say no. Like TDK said it is heavy molded plastic and should last darn near forever. 100K on mine and no cracks (nor do I expect any).

Define broken...  Leaking somewhere  I suppose?

At the bottom of the tank there is a metal outlet tube that the hose to the rest of the system connects to - and the plastic at the base of the outlet cracked.

98 bucks for the part, 98 for the labor. Its my only car and I had to rent a car to work, so I couldn't fool with it myself.

While he was at it, I asked my mechanic to replace the coolant, (70k miles) and put in the pellets.

He got the pellets from Cadillac, and on the blisterpack, the instruction said to crumble them and put them in the "reservoir".

Although I had told him they had to go in the lower radiator hose, he saw the instruction and crumbled them and put them in the surge tank.

Do I need to re-do this?????

Coolness,

You were right on both counts; changing the coolant and putting the pellets in the lower radiator hose. It was OK to put the pellets in the overflow reservoir in older models (4.9, etc). However, the NorthStar's "surge tank" is not an active enough flow area - so the pellets MUST go in the radiator hose itself - no exceptions.

You did use the "Bars" gold products right?

The following post is is the "Bible by Guru" on this subject (more available too)

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...ic=5477&hl=bars

If the work was done by a reputable shop or dealership - they should correct their error gladly - for good customer relations and the learning experience.

Again, good eye for paying attention to this detail!

Good Luck :)

Define broken...  Leaking somewhere  I suppose?

At the bottom of the tank there is a metal outlet tube that the hose to the rest of the system connects to - and the plastic at the base of the outlet cracked.

98 bucks for the part, 98 for the labor. Its my only car and I had to rent a car to work, so I couldn't fool with it myself.

While he was at it, I asked my mechanic to replace the coolant, (70k miles) and put in the pellets.

He got the pellets from Cadillac, and on the blisterpack, the instruction said to crumble them and put them in the "reservoir".

Although I had told him they had to go in the lower radiator hose, he saw the instruction and crumbled them and put them in the surge tank.

Do I need to re-do this?????

There is very little circulation in the surge tank. I would remove the bottom hose from the surge tank and flush the tank to remove the pellets.

You can remove the upper radiator hose and add new pellets - you won't lose as much coolant that way. Top off the system with 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Coolness,

You were right on both counts; changing the coolant and putting the pellets in the lower radiator hose. It was OK to put the pellets in the overflow reservoir in older models (4.9, etc). However, the NorthStar's "surge tank" is not an active enough flow area - so the pellets MUST go in the radiator hose itself - no exceptions.

I think the 4.9 with an overflow tank has even less flow than the Northstar. The 4.9 has a radiator cap and that is where the tabs should go. If you put them in the overflow tank they surely will just sit there and possibly plug up the return tube and/or the cap.

Larry (Ranger),

Dang it I actually knew that too. <_< (about the 4.9 having a radiator cap)

That was what I meant to note - but at least you got it right :P

Thanks for setting the thread straight! :)

Archived