CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Muffler noise

runar

Last year I traded in my 91 deville for a 94 deville with the 4.9 engine. Some modifications was made on the 94 model. A new type of manifold and some restrictions removed from the exhaust system. I found at slower speeds a rumbling sound can be heard inside the car.It looks like the catalytic converter

has been replaced. This car is peppier than the 91, just a little bit to loud for my liking.Seems like the s-steel muffler has been discontinued. Anybody know what kind of muffler is being used as a replacement?My question is: Was the 94 more noisy than the 91? Any feedback is welcome.

Regards

Runar

I have complained about the noise level inside my Deville also and I am reluctant to change my mufflers to get a nice growl for fear that I will make the noise level worse. Its impossible to have a conversation with someone in the back seat at highway speeds, and quite surprising given that this is Caddy's Luxomobile.. I don't know if it is a harmonic or just a normal drone yet. As you say, this Deville is definatly louder inside than my 91. I am hoping that I am hearing road noise transmitted through my suspension because my struts are totally shot.

What I would do if I were you is make sure that the muffler system is not grounding out to the frame (touching) at anywhere and that the correct hangers are being used that isolate the muffler system from the frame

Hi Scotty

Thanks for your reply. I do not think that anything is touching to the frame, but I am going to have a good look. My local muffler shop told me, if I go to a Walker or any aftermarket muffler, the sound might be worse than it is.He was also talking

about a donut mounted close to the manifold in the exhaust system, and it wears out. I am not sure what he was talking about. It was there to compensate for movements in the system. See if I can find anything about that in the manual.

Scotty, you and others are doing a good job on this board and I read it every night.

Regards

Runar

Archived