CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

power door lock

MIke D

So my friend (who has driven in my car hundreds of times) decides to open the door as soon as the car goes into park. As some of you know this binds up the lock. So I reach over and unlock it manually and think everything is fine. (she understands the "rules" now) So we get back to the car and I unlock the door and go to open it for her... it's locked.. click click on the remote and I hear the doors unlocked... except it is still locked... go to the back door and it's unlocked. tried the other 2 doors.. unlocked... So I get in blah blah blah...

using the power switch on the door (or remote), the Passenger door will lock but not unlock.. any idea's?

BTW it's a 93 sts..

Thanks in advance, Mike D

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Sounds like the door actutor has failed. Its inside the door and is the part that holds the door shut.

I've had this problem a couple times. The first time, it 'fixed itself' after about a week. The second time it was more persistant, and I ended up taking the door panel off to see what was wrong.

I ended up greasing up the metal arms running from the handle to the actual latch. I also rerouted a group of cables which appeared to be pushing on the metal arms when the panel was in place. I toggled the door locked/unlocked a few times, then put it all back together. Haven't had any problems since then. Take a look at the pics if youre still not sure.

I can tell you/show pics if youre not sure as to how to pull the door apart.

Hope this helps.

post-3-1115839746_thumb.jpg

-Chris

There is a rubber bumper that pulls off of the lock actuator. There was a repair kit available. The lock rods need to be removed from the actuator and the actuator removed from the door to make the repair. When the rubber bumper is broken the door will lock but not unlock just as you are experiencing.

So my friend (who has driven in my car hundreds of times) decides to open the door as soon as the car goes into park. As some of you know this binds up the lock. So I reach over and unlock it manually and think everything is fine. (she understands the "rules" now) So we get back to the car and I unlock the door and go to open it for her... it's locked.. click click on the remote and I hear the doors unlocked... except it is still locked... go to the back door and it's unlocked. tried the other 2 doors.. unlocked... So I get in blah blah blah...

using the power switch on the door (or remote), the Passenger door will lock but not unlock.. any idea's?

BTW it's a 93 sts..

Thanks in advance, Mike D

I had same problem on drivers side. I ordered a door lock actuator off the internet for $30.00 and installed in my driveway. Kind of a pain in the *smurf*, but its still working after two years now.

thanks guys... as soon as I get done with my trip I will tackle it,, along with the sunroof that is having problems,, and the brakes,, and the front bushings,, the ac that is new but sucks (not blows... cold that is),, and the hole in my gas tank (just kidding but it feels like one)...

Again thanks

Mike D

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Archived