CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rough idle,kick,buck,hesitate,load up,hissy fit

Matt

Good Morning. Another day and PCM on the way. LOL. I'm watching for the delivery truck here at work and my girl is watching for the the phone repair truck at home. I wonder wich one is more important to me??? No Contest. I have my prom pullers in hand and am ready. 68 out this AM, overcast and showers on the way with sun this PM. It don't matter, Ware is my PCM?? LOL

"It's All Good". The PCM is in and man- o- man what a difference. The idle is "rock- solid", it's so in neutral, drive, with AC on and even from a cold start. ( actually 69 deg) I will see how it is in the AM. It feels smoother when driving and the shifting feels different. I'm not sure if it actually is shifting smoother or if it's just in my mind. It feels like a different car. What a nice feeling it is. Mike you were right, it's very close now to being finished. There is not much left now. I keep getting a message to "service ride controll". I need to figure that out next. No rush. The plans are now to go through inspection next week. I'm very confident about that. Then I want to put on Flowmaster Delta 40's. I can get them for $57.00 ea. I think I will fire up my mig in the shop and get some pratice. Then some new tires. One step at a time, just like everything that has been done. It's really turning into a very nice car. O, and yes the spraying I did last night on the under carrage looks great. It really stands out as being nice and new from a distance. I better get some work done around here now. Later...

Hey Thanks Mike, The car is sure nice now. Thanks for all your help. Also thanks to everyone who helped out. I have to take care of a customer. Be back later.

Matt, that is a load off my mind, while it's nice to help someone, if something goes wrong, especially here (in public), it can be embarrising and stressful. There were some upsetting moments after your 'mechanic' installed the engine, but you did a great job solving all his screw ups..

I am glad that Scott's engine is performing good and that you are happy with it. I am even happier that the PCM solved your performance problem when it got hot.. I learned a lot during your project and I am sure we all did! Your experience is now part of our collective! Thanks

If I get into northern NJ I will let you know, I would like to see it... I have a wedding next sunday in Oradel, NJ! Enjoy, Mike

Hi Mike, We just finished dinner and are planning a ride this evening. Wow, thought I would never say those words again. It was a very sweet ride home from the salt mine this afternoon. The car was perfect, plenty of performance and it just felt right for a change. Boy you'r not kidding about that mechanics screw ups, he is not touching it ever again. That was just terrible, from over looking problems to steeling MY old engine it was just a night mare. I was actually sick to my gut at times knowing things were just not right. I could tell you were concerned about my work on this car. I know we all want our recomandations to go well, especially here, but I had a feeling you were more concerned about it turning out well for me then it going well on the board. I just have a feeling about that. There were lots of people that chimed in with ideas, they all counted because they made our minds think and look in many different directions. I have learned tons from just hanging out and reading everything that interested me. I can now take care of my car with confidence. I have a few more little projects to do, like exhaust, tires and the like. Then after that I can concentrate on some minor cosmetic details. O- there are other things to do but none as serious as what has been accomplished. For instance there is a command to service the ride controll every time I start her up. It rides good so it's no rush but it will be on my mind. I like leaving no stone unturned or no code un checked. It's time now to enjoy all this work and the fruits of all our mind bending labors. Well I'm going to get ready for a tour now. Catch up to ya all later. O,hey Mike, is it this Sunday or the next Sunday for the wedding? That is a good idea to meet up. Oradel is not far from me. Catch ya later Mike.

I could tell you were concerned about my work on this car. I know we all want our recomandations to go well, especially here, but I had a feeling you were more concerned about it turning out well for me then it going well on the board. I just have a feeling about that.

Well, if you think about it, if the engine was not perfect I would have felt terrible. I in a way take a big risk getting involved to the point of helping you with the engine, if anything serious went wrong you could have been really upset. I am very happy everything went smooth. I began to realize how serious it was when your mechanic messed up! It was very possible that you could have started it and had a knock. BUT, I trust Scott a lot, he is a sharp no BS guy, when he says he heard the engine before he removed it, I believe him.. I will thank him for taking care of you. Its probably a hoaky thing to do but I like to complete the circle and say thanks, it reinforces how important it is to do the job right, especially when there are so many that don't do it right..

The distributor had me sick also. That mechanic took a great engine and did a half assed, slam bang job installing it and gave it to you a mess! WTF, complete the job! Test drive the MOFO! What does your average guy on the street do, that can't drop the oil pan, replace the distributor and diagnose the PCM? Not to mention fine tuning the Throttle Body settings you did... My Dad used to say, "he would't make a patch on a mechanics *smurf*"... and that quote fits here...

Its amazing that you got the PCM for $30. Did you use your PROM?

At the beginnng of this job I said, when you get done with this replacement you will know the car inside out... And what did you say above "I have learned tons from just hanging out and reading everything that interested me. I can now take care of my car with confidence". Not to mention all of the hands on work and diagnosis that you did! I enjoyed it Matt!

One more thing, you should have seen the BIG smile on my face this morning when you told me that you had the SAME hot engine DEFLUBIATIONS with the old engine, while I didnt say it at the time, I KNEW it was the PCM at that point! :) Dkedrowitsch's free Eldorado symptom repair, fit your symptom perfectly also. And Logan was sure it was PCM and highlighted that has problems upon warming up. Guru steered you right on and was there right from the beginning with the leak! This illustrates the value of this board. It really is a growing body of experience and knowledge that is amazing... I don't know if this type and level of brainstorming was possible in the past, this to me is what computers have done, they connect together all of the minds, its amazing! Mike

Mike I'm so sorry I did not find this from you sooner. I really understand everything you said. I know you took a chance with this project. I can not thank you enough. When others doubted what I was getting involved in by taking the corse I did, I in turn trusted you to the max. It's true I did not know you but I new there was no way you would leed me on. I believed the engine was going to be good but at the same time I new it was "My Risk, My Choice". When one buys a used engine you just are taking a chance that something may go wrong. I know we do not know each other but I want you to know there was no way I would have been mad at you if there was a problem. There was just one major thing against me. It was ware the egine swap was done. It was indeed a slam bam thank you mam job. The darn car was there for weeks, it should have been gone over and all the little things should have been completed. I realize there were problems at the shop, but someone else should have been put on it and it should not have been done in a rush at the last few days it was there. In a way this all worked out for the best. How in heck is that you ask? Look at it this way, the things I have learned are just fantastic. I even have the confidence now to say" I bet I could change the engine myself" if I ever had to again. That takes pretty big brass ones to say you know. Before I forget, on the PCM, I did use my original chip. The one in the new PCM had a different number on it. I'v got a few spare parts now and I like that. I will keep that chip and I have a spare distributor module pluss a coil. If my original engine did not get stollen I would have had tons of spare parts. I need to rationalize here though, in reality what would I really have had. Lets say the block was bad (WAS) because if you do not show me and prove it I believe you are a thief. Ok, so the block was bad, what's left. Heads-intake manifold-injectors- fuel rail- fuel regulator-all electric plugs-cam shaft-oil pump-oil pan-EGR-Map sensor- What else? Well lets stop and ask would I have ever had a need for these things? I guess we say, Maybe! Maybe not! Maybe I did not really loose to much. Hmmm, I can't help feeling I did. I can't talk about that though, I get very mad, to the point of thinking about doing something stupid. I do not want to snap and wind up in jail. After all something big of mine was stolen, think about what you would do if that happened to you. Just curious, what would you have done? Any way, moving forward lets just look at the end results. I think they are pretty fantastic. We have theory, mechanics, knowledge, confidence and friendship. It's hard to put a price on that. You are right about computers Mike, many good things come about from the use of them. I to use mine 15 or 16 hours a day. I depend on my notebook all day to do job tickets, look up and call for parts, billing, parts brake downs and customer care via E-Mail. After work I depend on them more, it just never stops. It's time for some shut eye, I wonder what I will do on my car on Saturday. Good Night...

Archived