CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel pump question

kcd1184

Traced a whine all the way back to the fuel tank. Changed the fuel filter to see if that might relieve some back-pressure and solve the whining. No luck. Started calling around for prices for a new pump.

It seems that some places have just the fuel pump available, others sell the pump with a sending unit. (How do I know which one is bad?) Since I need to do one, and the fuel tank is going to be down, should I just do both and be done with it.?

Also, one place out of four wanted to know the sending unit's code #'s or letters, to match it with the right pump. They said it made a difference. Anybody know about that?

Kent

Check out (call) www.rockauto.com It is a good company offering OEM parts.

gmpartsdirect.com can sell for less but rockauto has better customer service.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Kent,

The sending unit is basically just a float and as I recall just about as expensive as the pump iteslf. If your guage is working OK I would not bother with it. Just my $0.02

Kent,

The pump and sending unit are all part of one unit. At least on my 94sts it is. Whatever you do don't go with an aftermarket unit. Not something you want to replace often. I got mine from http://www.gmotors.com/ (Brasington) for about $260 if I recall correctly. And had my mechanic install it for under $100 labor.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I have come to the conclusion that #1, you must have a fuel pump/relay code #(EPT,EPW,EPV) to correctly order the pump,or the pump/relay unit .#2, from what I can't find, the code # is not accessable unless you drop the fuel tank.#3, It sounds to me that the Mr B is indicating to not screw around with replacing just the pump unless you are absolutely sure of the rest of the wires.

Now I'm going to see if I can find the lowest price OEM fuel pump/relay, without having that code number on hand. (you can't order just the fuel pump without the code # and I don't have a downtime window for dropping the tank to find the code # and then waiting for the part)

Thank you for the responses

Kent

I have come to the conclusion that #1, you must have a fuel pump/relay code #(EPT,EPW,EPV) to correctly order the pump,or the pump/relay unit .#2, from what I can't find, the code # is not accessable unless you drop the fuel tank.#3, It sounds to me that the Mr B is indicating to not screw around with replacing just the pump unless you are absolutely sure of the rest of the wires.

Now I'm going to see if I can find the lowest price OEM fuel pump/relay, without having that code number on hand. (you can't order just the fuel pump without the code # and I don't have a downtime window for dropping the tank to find the code # and then waiting for the part)

Thank you for the responses

Kent

Check on the fuel pump wire harness near the connector plug. I replaced the fuel tank on my '86 Park Avenue last spring and while the original pump was still running strong after 188,000 miles, I thought it was best to replace the pump. The fuel pump code was on a label around the wire harness near the connector plug.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I jacked the rear end up and looked at every wire and line I could see coming from (and around) the fuel tank. Nothing close to the one of three codes I need.

EPT, EPW, EPV. I think it must be above the top of the tank.

Kent

Kent,

When I ordered mine through Brasington all they needed was my VIN and a brief description of the part I wanted. It was that easy.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

My fuel pump has had a whine for as long as I can remember. It doesn't get worse (or better), it's just always there. I thought it was normal but after reading this thread, I wonder if maybe it shouldn't whine. It isn't life threatening, just annoying at times. Do all Cadillac fuel pumps whine?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I think under normal conditions, you wouldn't hear the pump whine, especially when the engine and other accessories (radio, HVAC) are on. If I'm in the closed garage, and insert the key and turn it to on, you can briefly hear the pump run to charge the system. After that, it's transparent. I never hear it when the vehicle is running. Almost 150,000 miles on the OE pump. Fingers crossed.

Actually, the fuel pump is what worries me most about cars. I know they don't fail often, but that's one of the few parts that when they do fail, you're dead stranded no matter what. You can't limp home, you're just there.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I called Brasington and they do need the code letters in order to select the correct pump. My whine emerged well after I bought the Eldo, so I,m inclined to think it is a warning whine.

Kent

My experience with various GM cars has been that the fuel pumps get louder as they get older. The one in my Eldo has a fairly loud whine now. I've not had one die on me outright, although I wouldn't question that it does happen. Surging under moderate acceleration or at cruising speed is what I've encountered and has led me to replace pumps.

Archived