CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

91 FLEETWOOD TRANS

I HAVE A BUDDY THAT HAS A NICE `91 FLEETWOOD THAT STARTED TO HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. CAR RAN GREAT, NO PROBLEMS OR HINT OF AN ISSUE AND ONE DAY THE CAR WOULD NOT FORWARD OR BACKWARD. WAITED A WHILE FOR TRANSMISSION TO WARM UP AND HE WAS ABLE TO SOMEWHAT DRIVE THE CAR. THE CAR RAN BUT, SHIFTING WASN`T AS SMOOTH. CHANGE THE TRANS FLUID AND FILTER, PUT 8 QUARTS OF FLUID IN THE CAR AND THE CAR MOVED NO PROBLEMS. PROBLEM SOLVED, RIGHT? NEXT DAY HE GOES OUT TO RUN AN ERRAND AND THE CAR WON`T MOVE FORWARD OR BACKWARDS. THE CARS HAS THE 4T60E TRANSMISSION AND THE COST OF A COMPLETE OVER HAUL OF THE TRANNY IS LIKELY MORE THE FLEETWOOD IS WORTH. THE CAR IS TOO EARLY TO HAVE CODES AVAILBLE FOR THE TRANS. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS? THANKS.

I'm certainly not a transmission expert, but the sudden onset of this problem in a previously sound trans sound to me like a valve body problem or other closely related problem that is keeping it from building the necessary pressure. I had an 83 eldo that out of the blue decided it didn't want to shift out of 1st. A fluid change did get mine to shift too, sort of, but was not the fix. Turned out the problem was a broken accumulator spring. Pretty cheap fix once it was diagnosed.

Your buddy needs to find a good transmission mechanic (as opposed to a transmission replacer!) This doesn't sound like a trans that's in need of a complete overhaul.

If your local Cadillac dealer is lousy, any GM dealer could probably diagnose it. I had mine fixed at the Buick dealer where my brother works.

Hope this helps......

Unfortunately, these transmissions (4t60E) haves to be pulled out of the car to get to the valve body. If the transmission has a lot of miles, it would be worth it to overhaul it since there's a lot of labor involved with pulling one of these out.

IPB Image

Archived