CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'97 STS Front end noise??

My '97 STS has 85,000 miles. When the temperature was colder, I heard some noise from the front end when going over bumps. Now I'm starting to hear them more often even when it is getting warmer outside. My first thought was the struts getting weak and going bad. Could it be some other front component? ( Tie rods, etc..)

Is there an easy way to verify bad struts?

Did anyone have this problem? And if so, please let me know want was the fix. Thanks Ken

Ken, if it is bump induced the first thing I would look at and change are the stabilizer bar bushings, this is a cheap fix (parts are about $20). While you are doing that job you can inspect the stabilizer links, the end joints on the links should not have any play in them.

I recently found out that the easiest way to change the stabilizer bar bushings is to get the entire front end off the ground. Jacking up one side tends to 'torque' the stabilzer bar and make the job more difficult.. If you are doing the job yourself the bushings (#1 below) are held in place by a U-bracket and two bolts (#5 below). The 'slit' on the bushing faces the rear of the car..

post-3-1115469090_thumb.jpg

Hey scotty, where can I find tose parts for $20?

www.rockauto.com has the stabilizer bar ACDELCO bushings for cars with a 19MM bar at $12.75 and with the 21MM bar also at $12.75 each...... I was off a bit in my pricing sorry

Archived